• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Xperia Neo WiFi problems

cherry314159

Lurker
Nov 17, 2009
I have a brand new Neo. I first connected to my home's WiFi without problems.
When I tried to connect to other WiFi networks, in many cases it fails by not
being able to get an IP address. It then tries continously and never fully connects.
When I went back home I can experience the same problem. I'm running 2.3.4
and the WiFi sleep policy is set to never (original setting). The only way I can
get it to connect again is if I power off the phone and power on again. And that
works only in some places.

I've seen similar problems reported by others. Some responses suggested
changing the router firmware because of "incompatibilities". What's the deal
here? I can't change the firmware in router's that I don't control. If there are
issues then they should be clearly stated. Who has the problem and what is it?

Note that other Android devices (from other manufacturers: LG, Samsung)
work just fine in the same WiFi areas! This is something specific to the Xperia.

I'm actually kind of shocked the such a problem even exists. SE QA must have
some real issues to let this kind of problem out in the field.

It is completely unreasonable to request resetting or upgrading a router. In most cases this is out of one's control. More importantly, this does NOT happen with other android devices or laptops! I have now tried on many private and public WiFi networks and it's annoying to
have to turn off and on the device to see it works or not.

I have to conclude that SE has put out a very buggy release and trying to blame it on other devices. Can you just list the technical reasons for these failures? Is it possible to downgrade to a release that has WiFi working? I can't believe your QA dept can allow a release in such poor condition.

Upvote 0
@cherry314159 - The upgrading of the routers firmware is simply one fix, there are many others that are not as intrusive. Given the specific problem you have this may be solved by simply installing Wififxr from the market.

@sakthiananth - Can you elaborate on what you specifically by "experiencing lot of signal barrier" and I will see if I can offer a solution for you.

Upvote 0
Is it possible to install an older version of the firmware?
Specifically, I would like to install the version that was used
to pass WiFi complicance:
http://certifications.wi-fi.org/pdf_certificate.php?cid=WFA11196
Clearly, the version that was shipped (2.3.4) is not compliant;
the certificate does not state the version number.

I do have wififxr install and it does help in some cases, but not
all. I've made sure that the routers I control don't use channel 11;
that helps as well. Of course, I can't change routers I don't
control.

Upvote 0
Hi All,

let me inform you about one nice finding I just revealed with my xperia neo.
I have the newest version of software running on my Neo and brand new router from ISP. I had problem to access internet via wifi even though my Neo is paired with router. Means: correct pre-shared key, no MAC filtration on router, correct channel etc. (another devices - like phones laptops had not any problems with internet and connection was working fine). I was using authentication type: WPA2-PSK and encryption: AES

what I discovered:

authentication type: WPA2-PSK and encryption: AES - paired with router (Neo MAC visible in MAC-address table) but no internet access

authentication type: WPA2-PSK and encryption: TKIP - no problem anymore :)

It looks like some problem with AES encryption. But this is question for developers and vendoooooors :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones