• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Xperia Play R800x Custom Roms!

paxchristos

Android Enthusiast
Aug 27, 2011
Just becuase this thread isn't here yet, and I wanna keep everybody apprised on what we've got with the R800x on XDA (note: if you have the R800i, except the locked bootloarders ones, are available to you as well)

For unlocked bootloaders only
Kernels
ICS
We have a ported CM9 (ICS) kernel that works just fine, link is in the rom section

Darkforest CM9 Kernel: [GSM][KERNEL] Darkforest CM9 Kernel | NO MORE ALS :) [v2][WIP] - xda-developers (Works, I'm currently using it)

ICX Kernel: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1524159 (read for the link, once again, have tested and works fine.)

Gingerbread
MIUI
Darkforest MIUI kernel: [WIP][GSM]DarkforestKernel - MIUI - Version 2 Released [MIUI][KERNEL] - xda-developers

Stock
DoomLord's Kernel: [KERNEL][PLAY][CDMA] DooMKernel [Rel:TEST][Dt:29/JAN][FW:3.0.1.A.0.145] - xda-developers

Darkforest Kernel: [GSM/CDMA] Darkforest Kernel V1 [UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER] - xda-developers

My Kernel: [Kernel] [CDMA] [Unlocked Bootloader] Stock with overclock/recovery [V1.0] - xda-developers (note some people have had issues with it, I haven't test and see for yourself)

CM7 Kernel: See CM7 link below

ROMS
ICS
Update: The guy who was porting.CM9 has bought a new phone & will no longer be pouring or for us, go here for CM9 on R800x: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1591285
CM9:read above.

MIUIv4 (Based off CM9)" xda-developers - View Single Post - [ROM] (GSM) - ICS MIUI v4 (2.3.9) - Android 4.0.3 [UD 15/03] *RC0 MAJOR UPDATE* (Use Darkforest CM9 kernel)

ICX Sony Beta - Forthcoming, developer is gonna add support next update

ICX AOSP Lite - Forthcoming, developer is gonna add support next update (i was testing this one out, and can guarantee everything works)

Gingerbread:
MIUI v2.3.9: xda-developers - View Single Post - [WIP][CDMA] MIUI for the R800x (Read what I said on XDA, data doesn't work, but calls/sms do. I need to look into data to fix it)

CM7: {GSM/CDMA}[DEVELOPMENT] - CM7.2.0 - FXP111 RELEASED - FreeXperia Project - xda-developers (READ, READ, READ before you install, lots of little bits hidden near the end of the thread (hint: look for agraceful if you wanna download it & your in the US.)

For locked & unlocked bootloaders (any gingerbread - stock kernel can be used)

Roms
Cola - Minimalist rom dedicated to speed: [ROM][R800X][2.3.3]-Cola- Geared Towards Speed - xda-developers

IT-Rom - Minimalist rom themed: [ROM][CDMA] IT-ROM [r800x] - xda-developers

GBTweaked: [ROM][CDMA]GBTweaked[2.3.3][v05][2/6/12] - xda-developers

R800x with SE Framework - Adds in alot of the stuff verizon took out: [CDMA][ROM] R800x with UK firmware - xda-developers

Darkforest CDMA Rom (3.0.5) - [ROM] Darkforest ROM 3.0.5 UPDATE | GSM 2.3.4/.62 | CDMA 2.3.3/.145 [WIP] - xda-developers (I believe this one is for locked/unlocked bootloaders, but I'm not 100% sure)

Enjoy

Pax

i wouldn't mind trying the rom out with the SE framework but i notice on the page for the rom it says i need an unlocked bootloader. so do i need it unlocked or not?

I think both darkforest and r800x UK are both working as bootloader locked & unlocked... I'm not 100% sure because I unlocked my bootloader in November....

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
i wouldn't mind trying the rom out with the SE framework but i notice on the page for the rom it says i need an unlocked bootloader. so do i need it unlocked or not?

I can confirm that all of the ROMs that Pax has listed under the section "For locked and unlocked bootloaders" work just fine on the R800x with a locked bootloader, as I've tried all of them.

While the posts may mention using a different kernel, that is not necessary.

What you need:
1. Rooted phone.
2. CWM Recovery installed.
3. Make a Nandroid backup first! - Very important.

All but the Darkforest ROM 3.0.5 have been made available as nandroids. To install those, you simply drop them in the folder with your other nandroids and restore. I would recommend clearing data, cache and dalvik cache for the best results.

Darkforest 3.0.5 is a little different, but it was my favorite. To install this ROM, you install zipfile from sdcard and then use the Arora Touchscreen installer to install the ROM. Make sure you read the threads closely in order to get wifi working properly.

Have fun!!

Reactions: paxchristos
Upvote 0
I can confirm that all of the ROMs that Pax has listed under the section "For locked and unlocked bootloaders" work just fine on the R800x with a locked bootloader, as I've tried all of them.

While the posts may mention using a different kernel, that is not necessary.

What you need:
1. Rooted phone.
2. CWM Recovery installed.
3. Make a Nandroid backup first! - Very important.

All but the Darkforest ROM 3.0.5 have been made available as nandroids. To install those, you simply drop them in the folder with your other nandroids and restore. I would recommend clearing data, cache and dalvik cache for the best results.

Darkforest 3.0.5 is a little different, but it was my favorite. To install this ROM, you install zipfile from sdcard and then use the Arora Touchscreen installer to install the ROM. Make sure you read the threads closely in order to get wifi working properly.

Have fun!!

So I got my replacement Xperia Play, rooted it and installed the ROM Manager. When I click Flash ClockworkMod Recovery and confirm my model it tells me that "R800x does not have an officially supported ClockworkMod recovery yet" Have you installed a ClockworkMod based recovery manually?". What do I do at this point??

Upvote 0
So I got my replacement Xperia Play, rooted it and installed the ROM Manager. When I click Flash ClockworkMod Recovery and confirm my model it tells me that "R800x does not have an officially supported ClockworkMod recovery yet" Have you installed a ClockworkMod based recovery manually?". What do I do at this point??

Search in google play for "cwm for xperia" there's an auto-installer for non-bootloader unlocked phones.

Reactions: fuhrl
Upvote 0
ok. having some problems. i tried installing the SE framework rom. everything seemed to be going well. got it installed and when i rebooted the phone it got stuck on the SE screen. i know it usually takes a while to boot after installing a rom but i waited about fifteen minutes with no luck. i used the update service to get my phone back the way it was and i rooted again. i wiped in the phone in recovery before i tried installing the rom. is there something i might have done wrong or did i just not wait long enough for the phone to boot up?

Upvote 0
Did you wipe data (factory reset), cache and dalvik cache?

are they going to be three separate wipes? i remember when i was in the recovery that i wiped data, but i don't remember seeing anything specific about the cache and dalvik cache.

edit. so looking at it now, i have to:
-wipe data/factory reset
-wipe cache partition
-scroll down to advanced then wipe the dalvik cache

i guess i was used to the recovery setup on my ally when i had it.

Upvote 0
are they going to be three separate wipes? i remember when i was in the recovery that i wiped data, but i don't remember seeing anything specific about the cache and dalvik cache.

edit. so looking at it now, i have to:
-wipe data/factory reset
-wipe cache partition
-scroll down to advanced then wipe the dalvik cache

i guess i was used to the recovery setup on my ally when i had it.

For safety sake, do all three, otherwise, technically wipe data/factory reset should wipe everything else... if you feel like testing, go ahead (I think people on xda had issues with only doing data, tho)

Upvote 0
For safety sake, do all three, otherwise, technically wipe data/factory reset should wipe everything else... if you feel like testing, go ahead (I think people on xda had issues with only doing data, tho)

bah! still stuck at the SE Screen. I'm going to try that Cola one and if that doesn't work i'm just sticking with the stock rom with root. I never had any problem switching roms on my ally. :mad:

edit: i was able to get the Cola Rom to work with no problems but the GBTweaked one tells me theres a MD5 mismatch when i try to restore that one. any advice? i want to try that one since it looks a bit cooler. lol.

Upvote 0
edit: i was able to get the Cola Rom to work with no problems but the GBTweaked one tells me theres a MD5 mismatch when i try to restore that one. any advice? i want to try that one since it looks a bit cooler. lol.

If you get a md5sum mismatch, then you have a corrupted download. Download again.

Upvote 0
If you get a md5sum mismatch, then you have a corrupted download. Download again.

ok. will do. i really like the speed of the Cola rom.

edit: tried downloading it again. still getting the same message. must be a problem on the their end?

i think i'll be fine with Cola for the time being. this thing screams compared to the stock rom (which i thought was quick enough).

Upvote 0
question: i still have the Cola ROM installed on my phone and most everything seems to run fine except when I go the Text to Speech settings. It force closes every time. Was this ability possible stripped out of the ROM. If so, would it be possible to get it working by adding some files or something?

I think it was stripped out, I'm not sure how to restore it :(

Upvote 0
I think it was stripped out, I'm not sure how to restore it :(

i thought you knew everything!! :mad:;)

well, i actually switched to that darkforest one. it seems pretty much like the UK SE framework one i was trying to originally install. i think i'll stick with this one for a while it looks fancy and everything seems to work right!

Upvote 0
I finally got the gbtweaked from to work for me. I think ill stick with this one for a while. I do have one question. The dpi is set at 210 on this rom. I would like to lower it a bit. On the roms I used on my old ally there was a sort of built in command for the terminal emulator to change it. I cannot figure out how to change this at all for this rom. Is there a universal command or is it going to be specific to the rom. I just want to make things slightly larger.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones