• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Yahoo Messenger won't sign in "all the way through"

vinci

Jul 29, 2011
I have a HTC Desire S with Android Gingerbread and today I found out that I was unable to sign in to yahoo. After I enter my id and password, the list of ppl does show up but on the bottom it says "loading online contacts", but it won't. I realized afterwards that I am actually signed in to yahoo messenger (my friends see me as being online), but I can't perform any action. All my friends are shown offline and when I try to enter a conversation with anyone it turns me back to the login screen.
To log out I have to log in from a PC and then log out.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

I have a HTC Desire S with Android Gingerbread and today I found out that I was unable to sign in to yahoo. After I enter my id and password, the list of ppl does show up but on the bottom it says "loading online contacts", but it won't. I realized afterwards that I am actually signed in to yahoo messenger (my friends see me as being online), but I can't perform any action. All my friends are shown offline and when I try to enter a conversation with anyone it turns me back to the login screen.
To log out I have to log in from a PC and then log out.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

I am having the same problem. It was working just fine yesterday. I turned on wifi on my phone and it hasn't been right ever since.

Upvote 0
Must be something with Yahoo. I'm having the same problem.
Last night, 2am(central), I got a notification saying something like 'your session has ended'. I haven't been able to sign in via my EVO ever since.
Signing in from my PC works fine though.

Yes, this happens to me too sometimes when I sign in to yahoo and then use another application. I wonder why Yahoo! doesn't take it more seriously and solve the problem, given how many mobile clients there are and how many are yet to come.
Anyway, I'm using imo meanwhile and I'm a little bit more content than y messenger, because I've got a lot more options. For instance, I can turn off vibration when I receive a message, I can sign in multiple users, it's a lot more pragmatic, even though it lacks in aesthetics.
One drawback is that you can't do (I think) any video conferences or voice calls. But that's all, I guess :)

Upvote 0
I had to clear the cache to get mine to work. I had to go into the reboot mode to do it.

What do you mean by reboot mode? Is this the same with simply rebooting?
Mine did work after I after I changed my connection from wifi to mobile net, but then the peoblrm reappeared. Now it doesn't matter what connectiom I use. It's the same thing. However, it's rather inconsistent, because sometimes it works if I log in with another user, etc. There's no rule.

Upvote 0
What do you mean by reboot mode? Is this the same with simply rebooting?
Mine did work after I after I changed my connection from wifi to mobile net, but then the peoblrm reappeared. Now it doesn't matter what connectiom I use. It's the same thing. However, it's rather inconsistent, because sometimes it works if I log in with another user, etc. There's no rule.

Turn the phone off. Then turn it back on by holding the power button and the volume down button. That will put the phone in download mode. Then go to clear cache. That worked for me I have the Fascinate. Not sure if that will work for all Android phones. But it's worth a try.

Upvote 0
When I do that, a menu shows up with recovery, sim lock and other stuff and there's nothing there mentioning 'clear cache'.
In order to clear the Cache, you have to go into Manage Applications. Menu, Applications, Manage Applications, Running (If you don't have it running, go to All), go down to where Storage is, Cache should be near there.

Sometimes with Yahoo, you may have to clear data and start anew, I've had to recently after the stupid dinging noise would NOT stop, even after forcing it to close.

Honestly, I really wish Yahoo! would take the App and work on it more, if they'd update it as often as they did on YIM...I'd be alright.
cool.gif

Upvote 0
In order to clear the Cache, you have to go into Manage Applications. Menu, Applications, Manage Applications, Running (If you don't have it running, go to All), go down to where Storage is, Cache should be near there.

Sometimes with Yahoo, you may have to clear data and start anew, I've had to recently after the stupid dinging noise would NOT stop, even after forcing it to close.

Honestly, I really wish Yahoo! would take the App and work on it more, if they'd update it as often as they did on YIM...I'd be alright.
cool.gif

This is very different from what Laron is saying. I know how to clean up an application's cache. That's not the issue. He probably refers to a more thorough cleaning of the phone with reboot mode. I did clean up yahoo messenger cache, I did reinstalled it and so on, but still wouldn't work, or worked very inconsistently (after I logged out and, for instance, turned to wifi it still logged me partially - in that I couldn't perform any action, but I was seen online). I was hoping that what Laron was suggesting could spare me of the trouble i'm having with yahoo for a while, not for a few minutes.

Upvote 0
This is very different from what Laron is saying. I know how to clean up an application's cache. That's not the issue. He probably refers to a more thorough cleaning of the phone with reboot mode. I did clean up yahoo messenger cache, I did reinstalled it and so on, but still wouldn't work, or worked very inconsistently (after I logged out and, for instance, turned to wifi it still logged me partially - in that I couldn't perform any action, but I was seen online). I was hoping that what Laron was suggesting could spare me of the trouble i'm having with yahoo for a while, not for a few minutes.

Yea it worked for me. It started when I turned on wifi and took it off and then it just stopped. Clear Cache was on my phone, maybe it's not on all of them, so I'm not sure how else you can do it. I know there's a way to clear the dalvik cache, but I think you have to be rooted to do that. There are some apps on the market that clears the dalvik cache, but I don't remember which ones they are, there is one called rom manager for when you are rooted and have different roms installed. I learned a lot about it when I had my last phone. Haven't done much rooting with this one. But try to search the market and see if there's anything that will clear the cache. Luckily it was on my phone when I put it in recovery mode.

Upvote 0

Well i just had the problem and i found how to fix it, at least for me. Go to manage apps. Press messenger, then press clear cache (if it's not cleared already) and also clear data. Clear data will ask if you're sure, say yes and it'll remove all things. You'll have to redo setting and all, but it should work.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones