• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Young student creating app idea for contest, FEEDBACK IS GREATLY APPRECIATED

meeds

Lurker
Jul 28, 2014
Hi everyone. I want to create an app that will benefit the world greatly and my idea is to push people into planting trees. I don't know what to call it yet but I have some ideas on how to present it and want your opinions. This app idea will be submitted to Samsung for a chance to win a $20,000 in scholarship funds. This app focuses on reforestation in small communities around the world. Users will recieve points for every gallon(point system may change) of CO2 that a tree that the user's plant absorbs which will stack onto their personal account for them to compare with friends. When a user wants to plant a tree somewhere in their community, they simply name it in the app, pinpoint its location on a map, and finally take a picture of it once it is in the ground. Users can access a complete list of their trees which will display the benefits it has gave so far such as amount of oxygen given (estimated by time alive) and the amount of CO2 absorbed (also estimated). Also the app will feature information of their tree and how to plant trees. Natural disasters and depletion of forests also occur globally, so I want to incorporate some type of 'need trees here in "Washington "' for people to respond to these emergencies and begin making impacts by planting trees. I believe I have something going but I would appreciate any more ideas or feedback! Thank you all!

I would use a system like a forum setup that users could post pictures of desolate areas and say hey here in Seattle this place on the corner of main and first street needs trees, with pictures, ect.

Also using google maps (whatever its called, devlopers code) you could develop a, I am here, I want places users say need trees within 50 miles. Boom red spots. (Green with trees)

Great app idea. Hope you win. Save our spaceship earth. (Pft, more like save us)

Beta version welcomed on my phone, for sure.

Upvote 0
Yea, a map is a def, for location variable searching.

Bit def a forum for pictures, updates, new pictures of trees, and even perhaps feild trips for students into the countryside or cross country reforisting organizations.

High hopes!
Great ideas! Do you have any ideas for the name of the app? I'm stuck thinking about one because all I think of is like "grow-up or grow-more" but I don't really like those

Upvote 0
You were talking about adding up the 02 peoples trees make (im guessing it will be an assumed avrage), also take Into account their co2 output through breathing and maybe even add for their cars and home power usage, is their power from coal, gas, ect.

Big number crunching scary looking algebra with variables.

02 footprint number (could be negative)

Hey what's your o2 foorprint? Mines 2 tons per year. I wonder what keven bacons o2 footprint is?

Upvote 0
Haha love it. I may expand the app to include expenses from home living but I am told to keep it simple and I think trees being the main subject is good alone. But yes I want to track the benefits of each individual tree by estimating. I strictly want to focus the app on drawing people into planting trees and less focusing on the users pollution levels at home you know?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones