• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

YouTube pairing

idic

Jan 8, 2012
I can't find out how to pair my Google phone with the Google TV YouTube app, so I can send videos from the phone to the TV. The website says that I going to my YouTube on the TV app there will be an option to pair, but I can see it there nor anywhere else in the options menu.

Am I missing something?

Thanks.

I can't believe nobody has responded to this yet. I'm wondering the exact same thing. It seems that this only works if you go to the Youtube leanback website. There, it works amazingly well, but you HAVE to have the website loaded. The better solution would be to send the video from my phone to my Google TV and have it play no matter what I'm doing.

But either way, I'd like it to use the Youtube app on my TV.

(side note: I'd also like the app to look like the website - that thing is gorgeous)

Upvote 0
I have the Co-Star GTV box. Be SURE you update YouTube on both the TV/box and your phone/tablet. If you do, as long as the phone and the TV are on the same wireless network (your home network, not a carrier network), it's virtually automatic:

- You do nothing on the TV.
- When you open YouTube on your phone/tablet there is a new tutorial screen. It tells you to activate sending it to your TV by press a rectangular looking box with ">" (like "Play" on a DVD) just at the top center of the screen on your phone. When you do, a menu opens on your phone that gives you the option of playing the media on your phone or "Google TV". You select, done.

It works amazingly and in my opinion just MADE Google TV. I've had my Co-Star for several months and it was "OK", but this is fantastic. It's just so much easier to navigate to the video you want on your phone. Spent the last 2 nights watching vid's and movies this way.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
I am having this problem with my Sumvision Cyclone 2X (ATV1200). I can pair it if I open youtube.com/leanback in the browser but the app doesn't have any option to pair. Usually the option is in the scrollable list on the left side of the screen on SmartTVs.

Is it because of the version of Android that the ATV1200 presents itself as? I guess some were in the ROM there is something that specifies what kind of device it is. Is there a way to change the device type? Or else I guess I would need to find a GoogleTV apk of the youtube app.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones