• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ZAGG HD vs ZAGG

Just curious if anybody has tried the new ZAGG HD screen protectors. Also, if you have used ZAGG in the past can you tell any difference between the two ?

Yes. I'm on my second HD screen protector in a week, and taking it back for another one today. While the feel of the HD shield is beautiful and glassy, I have found that the second I put a case on (after waiting the prescribed 24 hours), the edges lift. At first, I thought it was the lack of skill by the lady at Best Buy. However, the second one was installed by a guy who has installed several invisible shields for me, and he has always done an impeccable job. In fact, when he installed the replacement, he wasn't happy with it, and ended up getting another brand new shield out of the box and re-installing it.

Additionally, the slightest touch of my fingernail leaves an indention that does not go away. While I like the feel of the HD version better than the original, it hasn't lived up to the quality of the original, in my opinion. I'm pretty disappointed.

Upvote 0
Yeah ill have to keep an eye on the edges. I've had my HD on for a few days now and there's been no lifting that I can see. The fingernail thing was really bad on the zagg I used on my Droid X and couple years ago. My thumbnail left a couple slits all the way through right away.

Haven't had that happen on this one yet either.

Reactions: treb1797
Upvote 0
Just curious if anybody has tried the new ZAGG HD screen protectors. Also, if you have used ZAGG in the past can you tell any difference between the two ?

I would steer away from the ZAGG HD. I am currently trying to get a refund on mine. It installed with the same level of difficulty as ZAGG's previous products, which is to say that it is not particularly difficult. Unfortunately, while I was squeegeeing out some of the bubbles, I noticed that the squeegee was leaving "dents" in the surface of the protector. I called ZAGG to inquire about this, and they assured me that they would disappear after a few days due to the self-healing properties of the protector. Now I have had it on for about a week, and the dents are still there, as are new dents from my finger nails, and whatever else has bumped the screen. This is a defective screen protector, and I would recommending looking at other options.

Upvote 0
Yes. I'm on my second HD screen protector in a week, and taking it back for another one today. While the feel of the HD shield is beautiful and glassy, I have found that the second I put a case on (after waiting the prescribed 24 hours), the edges lift. At first, I thought it was the lack of skill by the lady at Best Buy. However, the second one was installed by a guy who has installed several invisible shields for me, and he has always done an impeccable job. In fact, when he installed the replacement, he wasn't happy with it, and ended up getting another brand new shield out of the box and re-installing it.

Additionally, the slightest touch of my fingernail leaves an indention that does not go away. While I like the feel of the HD version better than the original, it hasn't lived up to the quality of the original, in my opinion. I'm pretty disappointed.

I had the same problem with the indentations. I am struggling to get a refund from ZAGG. The HD is a pretty inferior product.

Upvote 0
never tried the ZAGG HD but tried the original ZAGG and i do not like. Still looking for the HG of screen protectors. Any suggestions anyone?

I'm currently using a Stealth Shieldz protector and have also had good luck when I had my Triumph using Armor Suit protectors. Both are smoother and less prone to indentations compared to Zagg's, plus they're much less expensive and come with both a 60 day refund policy along with a lifetime replacement warranty. Good luck.

Upvote 0
I had the regular zagg on an S2 and got the Zagg HD for the S3 and it's the best screen protector I've ever had. Its thin and not rubbery like the original .The only way you can tell that it's on is the cutouts around the top speaker and the main button which still took a few seconds for my buddies to locate after I told them that I had it put on. It's been a month and there is not a scratch on it. I had it installed at bestbuy and there is not a spec of dust under it, they did a perfect job.

Upvote 0
I've had a completely different experience.
I've used Zagg since 2006.
I veered away from them in the past two years.
On my HTC Incredible I used the Verizon screen protector for over two years with no problems.
In fact I put a cheap screen protector on the S3 when I first got it.
Didn't feel right. I went to BB and had them install the HD protector.
No rubbery feel or finger nail problems. Doesn't feel like the other Zagg protectors.
No complaints.

Upvote 0
Zagg's are way overpriced. If you're willing to order online you can get 2-3 from www.bestskinsever.com for the price of 1 Zagg. They are made of the same exact material but don't have all the packaging fluff. I've been using them for years on my devices with no issues.

If you order 3 or more, shipping is free. I usually order three for a new device so if I mess up the application on the first try I have 2 more tries.

Upvote 0
IMHO, I think it's an inferior product. Although there is no orange peel effect like the regular Zagg protectors, it is more prone to indents, which don't go away as fast as the original Zagg. I had the HD protector for around 3 weeks before i got frustrated with it, called Zagg, and they were gracious enough to send me a normal Zagg screen. The orange peel effect doesn't bother me anyways.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones