• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"Zippiness, punchiness, and overall speeditude"

I went to try out an Acclaim today, and, while it was fresh in my mind, jetted over to a Verizon store to see how it held up against the higher-end Android devices.
Seemed to me to actually hold up pretty well in zippiness, punchiness, and overall speeditude to my surprise. My only disappointment on the Acclaim was its 3.5" screen, but it's a disappointment I can live with.

My question: Does it slow way down once bogged by apps, or do you find it to be just as responsive as the battered and used store demo?

Clearly I wasn't thinking this through. Just like a larger computer, the smaller computer's performance won't be affected by the amount of hard drive space taken up. It'll be affected by the memory consumed by open programs.
Guess I'll have to snag that app that manages other open apps when I finally make the switch from Blackberry (tomorrow!).

Upvote 0
There has been a lot of debate in Android forums whether Task Killers (App Managers by any other name) are really all that worth it. Android is designed to manage its own memory, and if you really need to kill an app, just go to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications, then find your app, and under Controls, select Force stop. Task killers stay resident at all times, waiting for your call. They use processor time always, just monitoring which apps are running at any given moment.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones