• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ZTE ZMAX Pro (Z981) "device donation" root discussion

Thanks mate , i got this device totally by ur & other contributions that are much appreciated by me so no need for more donations as i already got the device , now let's hope for some progress on obtaining root :)

Well sir. I read the thread and saw alot of downloads of your TWRP. I didn't want to be one of the ones that didn't contribute. And will continue to contribute regardless. I very much appreciate you guys and your due diligence. Droid professional itself on droid having no limit to what droid doee..But you guys are the people that make all this possible. Thanks for all your hard work.

Upvote 0
Our biggest hope right now is CVE-2016-2503. I don't know if Messi can take advantage of that though, I'm guessing that you would need to use the OpenGL library to exploit the GPU driver. This would allow you to write to RAM that is kernel protected.... Someone would have to write an app that utilizes OpenGL and know how to use 2503.

Don't see that happening any time soon.

Upvote 0
This phone is a dud. Zte has this phone on Lockwood. Will be my final zte
Yea with the bootloader locked down tightly and android security is getting more stronger after each new release unfortunately there is no big chance on getting root on it.... this device was going to be the best midrange selling device if it was more open....

Upvote 0
Yea with the bootloader locked down tightly and android security is getting more stronger after each new release unfortunately there is no big chance on getting root on it.... this device was going to be the best midrange selling device if it was more open....
yep and zte messed it up big time. dont have smart people working fro them at all. its a competitive space. why promote a device if you gonna neglect it. makes no sense.

Reactions: messi2050
Upvote 0
Temp root is possible, but causes the phone to reboot upon su command. So it seems there is an actual secondary root available on the phone stock.

I havent had much time to play with the device tho, they have placed many bin files that may actually have some use, but without knowing the actual command or decompiling them we wont know. At this moment making an edl connection would be the easiest

Reactions: messi2050
Upvote 0
I originally sold my 1st zmax pro. Got an idroid Apache g6. Rooted it and bricked it like a noob will do, so I hear. When faced with what to buy next, went back and got another z981. Funny thing is, the very same annoyances that made me look into rooting in the first place are very much still in this phone. They are all rootable. Only a matter of time and effort. Messi, if your still working on this thing, I will send you 40usd today. Hit me up. You can do it dude.

Upvote 0
Temp root is possible, but causes the phone to reboot upon su command. So it seems there is an actual secondary root available on the phone stock.

I havent had much time to play with the device tho, they have placed many bin files that may actually have some use, but without knowing the actual command or decompiling them we wont know. At this moment making an edl connection would be the easiest
ASAP How did you get Temp ROOT. I need it to boot su

Upvote 0
have you been able to get Temp Root? I need it to boot Su command and I believe I can go from there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones