• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

1.43 inches is bigger than 40mm? ‍‍

OM2

Android Enthusiast
Jun 12, 2010
I've got a Samsung Galaxy Active 2 watch 40mm.
I love it.
I hate it as well. The 1.5 day battery life winds me up.

So I got a Xiaomi Mi watch. It's supposed to be 1.43 inches on ebay.
OMG it's massive. It's GIGANTIC. Much bigger than my Samsung watch.

Then I asked Google. In 40mm is 1.57 inches.

What am I missing?

I can't keep the Xiaomi watch. It's too big.

But what other watch do I buy??
I need to figure out the sizing.

I'm looking for a good brand watch that will give me 2 weeks of battery.

I was thinking of the Huawei or Honor watches - but I suspect their sizes are equally big?

Thanks.

2 weeks of battery life? for a smart watch? good luck finding that. i love my samsung watch3....been thinking about the watch5.
but my watch i get almost 2 days worth of battery life. but as long as i can get a day out of the watch, i am very happy.

for me i take my watch off of the charger in the morning when i get dressed for work, and at the end of the day i put the watch on the charger before i go to bed.....rinse and repeat.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't think it's a very good practice to buy a smartwatch based solely on size. There are a lot more aspects to take into consideration, like battery life, feature list, user interface, device interactivity, price, etc. Just because a smartwatch is relatively more sizable or diminutive doesn't necessarily determine its better or worse in an overall sense. Buy one that best fits your own particular needs.
If you want a smaller watch with longer battery life, that's going to involve a higher level of engineering and manufacturing, a big factor being it requires a polished, efficient firmware (software design) and optimized hardware, including a battery that's above average in capability.

Upvote 0
The question is whether the 1.43" refers to the width of the dial or of the case. With real watches it's conventional to give the case size, but smartwatches sometimes quote the display size instead, which can be confusing. And that's what's happened here: the Galaxy Active 2 has a 40mm case, but the Mi watch has a 35mm display (approx 1.4") and a 46mm case (the difference between dial and cases sizes can be large because most smartwatch displays have substantial bezels).

So the key is to check the specs in detail before buying. They should be available on the manufacturer's website, if not you'll probably be able to find them at GSMArena (who give both display size and case dimensions). The best is if the manufacturer includes a diagram that shows where each dimension is measured, but not all do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As for battery life, the trade-off there is between size, capability and battery. A fitness tracker will give a longer battery life than a full smartwatch because the operating system is doing less, allowing it to run with a less powerful processor at a lower clock speed. Some of those might stretch to 2 weeks (most of those I'm familiar with claim 6-10 days), though it will also depend on usage, e.g. one with built-in GPS being used to track runs will last a lot, lot less than that. WearOS devices, Apple Watches, Galaxy Watches etc will never last that long - if they reliably last more than a day you are doing well, I don't offhand know of one that will last more than 2 days. And yes, as with phones a larger case allows a larger battery.

But really if you want 1 week battery and not larger than 40mm case you are looking at a Garmin or Fitbit device rather than a more fully-functioned smartwatch (and even then I think you'll struggle to find one that does 2 weeks). If you need a more full-on smartwatch OS (and not everyone does, probably including not everyone who buys one) then you'll have to compromise on the battery.

Upvote 0
@Hadron educated more I am. Thanks for explaining.

@ocnbrze you can get ones with '30 days' claimed battery!
I'd be happy with getting a 'claimed' battery life of 2 weeks and it lasting only 1 week - I'd live with that any day.

Requirements: good looking watch from an 'OK' brand that tells the time. That's it. LOL.
The grip with my Samsung was that when I flicked the wrist to look at the time, it only turned on 25% of time.
Sooo frustrating.

Requirements before: need NFC for payments. Need a sleep tracker. Need health monitoring and physical activity gizmo widgets that I'll never use. Using NFC takes 2 seconds too long - easier to get phone and pay in less than a split second.
Now... I decided all those other things I don't need.

One thing... well known brand names: Apple, Google, Samsung + others like Fossil, MK etc... they have a battery life of 1-2 days.
Second tier (not complete unknown): they have battery lives of 7 - 30 days - but none have NFC payment. These are the likes of Huawe, Xiaomi, Honor.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones