• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root 11/Jan 3.1 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for GSM Hero

I installed the 1.3 version of this ROM that I got from a link on the Unlcker website after I rooted my phone. I was able to flash the 1.3 version of the ROM without wiping my phone with no complications, it worked great. I then downloaded the 3.1 version of the ROM, performed a backup, and then tried to flash the new 3.1 version. I got stuck at the HTC boot screen (no movement at all) for probably 45 minutes. I finally yanked the battery and rebooted the phone, same result. I had to reflash the 1.3 version to restore my backup. Anyone else go from 1.3 to 3.1? Is it supposed to take that long? What are ya'lls recommendations to upgrade to 3.1 without having to wipe?

Upvote 0
Anyone else go from 1.3 to 3.1? Is it supposed to take that long?

The initial boot after updating does take much longer, but 45 minutes is way longer than it should take. I wipe more or less at every major version, so I can't comment on updating from such an old version.

What are ya'lls recommendations to upgrade to 3.1 without having to wipe?
You could try again, but if it boot-loops once more I think a wipe will be the only solution.

Upvote 0
The initial boot after updating does take much longer, but 45 minutes is way longer than it should take. I wipe more or less at every major version, so I can't comment on updating from such an old version.

You could try again, but if it boot-loops once more I think a wipe will be the only solution.

What all is lost in a wipe? (ie, contacts, call log, HTC Scenes, settings).

Upvote 0
Everything in the handset's internal storage. A wipe is just like performing a factory reset - you effectively return the handset to its out-of-the-box condition. External (SDHC) storage is unaffected.

Is there a way to back that data up to restore after flashing the upgrade? I performed a nandroid backup, but it looks like you can only restore to that backup if you're in the same release (ie, I had to revert back to 1.3 before I could restore).

Upvote 0
Is there a way to back that data up to restore after flashing the upgrade?

The only thing I worry about is my contact details, and they're sync'd with Googlemail. I use AppControl to back up actual apps in case I have to reinstall them and a few apps have backup options for their settings, but tbh nothing I use takes much configuring anyway. I tend to follow the KISS principle as I've been doing so much testing recently.

I performed a nandroid backup, but it looks like you can only restore to that backup if you're in the same release

A Nandroid backup is a complete image of your handset. It can be restored at any time but will return the handset to the state it was in when the backup was made i.e. same ROM, apps, settings, etc. There's no way to restore selectively - it's best thought of as a disaster recovery tool.

Upvote 0
Months ago I flashed the CyanogenMod ROM onto my GSM Hero. However, I believe that this was originally intended for G1 users? Is it worth me updating to MoDaCo or just wait for the Android 2.1 update?

If I were to update to MoDaCo would I need to wipe my device? The build number on my phone is 2.73.405.5 146733 CL#61267 release-keys

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones