• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root 1st timer questions - SBF back to Froyo to go to rooted GB

Trying to search and find answers without reposting same questions, so bear with me, but I need to get these specific things clear in my head before I do this.

I goofed and took the OTA GB, not knowing that it wouldn't be rootable. So now, to get to rooted GB, can someone lay out the steps and correct files?

I'm finding too many combinations of files, upgrade paths, guides, and videos, so I get the feeling I'm going to screw this up.

First though, I DO know I need to SBF back to 2.3.340 full/unrooted, correct?

Trying to search and find answers without reposting same questions, so bear with me, but I need to get these specific things clear in my head before I do this.

I goofed and took the OTA GB, not knowing that it wouldn't be rootable. So now, to get to rooted GB, can someone lay out the steps and correct files?

I'm finding too many combinations of files, upgrade paths, guides, and videos, so I get the feeling I'm going to screw this up.

First though, I DO know I need to SBF back to 2.3.340 full/unrooted, correct?

SBF back to 2.3.340 (Froyo) unrooted, use Z4Root to root it, then install the Droid 2 Bootstrap so you can install the 2 part rooted GB .zips. The links to the 2 zip files with instructions can be found HERE.

Reactions: USHwy129
Upvote 0
yes you need to sbf back to .340 full
once you have done that you need to root using z4root
once you have done that you can install either d2 or dx bootstrapper from the market
once you have done that you can download the .596 OTA Rooted Deodexed GB file here
Official DX Gingerbread 2.3.3 (4.5.596) Release Thread - Something for everyone
and go to the Part 1 and Part 2 Files
install them and make sure you wipe data and cache before you do

Reactions: USHwy129
Upvote 0
Great! I think that clears it up. I was missing the part about rooting froyo with z4 root, so I'm glad I asked. Just 2 more minor questions:

I'm running ADW Launcher pro, so I've paid for it. After I get to rooted GB and reinstall ADW, it will recognize me as a paid customer correct? Will the backups that I've done inside ADW still be there to restore? (configuration and desktop)

And last question, does the SD card need to be inserted the whole time I'm doing this? Just wondering because it would give me an extra piece of mind to know there is NO possibility of any data on the card being affected.

Upvote 0
Great! I think that clears it up. I was missing the part about rooting froyo with z4 root, so I'm glad I asked. Just 2 more minor questions:

I'm running ADW Launcher pro, so I've paid for it. After I get to rooted GB and reinstall ADW, it will recognize me as a paid customer correct? Will the backups that I've done inside ADW still be there to restore? (configuration and desktop)

And last question, does the SD card need to be inserted the whole time I'm doing this? Just wondering because it would give me an extra piece of mind to know there is NO possibility of any data on the card being affected.

Yes it will recognize that you've paid for the pro version and the backups will restore your settings, widgets may need to be replaced.

You will need the SDcard in since the zip files that you need will be on it.

Upvote 0
You would have found out real quick that you need to be rooted, because you can not run the bootstrapper app unless your device is rooted, as far as I know. It has to have "superuser" access.

Nothing is ever deleted on your sd card. In fact, the zip files need to be on the sd card in order to use them.

Upvote 0
Ok I'm successfully back on 2.3.340 full froyo, rooted with z4root, and z4root app still installed. Other than that, bone stock.

My question now is it's not real clear in the above referenced post by p3droid on droidworld which files are the rooted GB...is it the torrent in his post? If anyone can clear this up it'd be great, or even just a direct link to the rooted GB files would be nice lol.

After I get the rooted GB files, I put them on the SD card zipped? Or unzipped? Then run them through the stock files app? And when that finishes, I should be at running rooted GB?

Thanks for the patience :D

Upvote 0
This is the section in the P3 post that you should concern yourself with. Three mirrors for each download.
Patched update.zip (not signed)
You must follow the directions exactly to the letter, if you do not I can not guarantee the results. Please do not post questions here if you have not read the directions below. Before beginning ensure that you understand the directions that you have read.

Good now that you have read above the you are ready to proceed.

1. Your phone must be in the following condition before you can use the patched updater.

1.Your phone is running the 2.3.340 official Froyo Firmware
2.Your phone has been rooted
3.Your phone is using the Droid2 Bootstrap program (Do Not Use DroidX Bootstrap)

Install part 1 and then part 2 before leaving recovery!!

File Part 1
md5sum: a02e41f06370419ac4f8f77c45b52c1e
file size: 99.4 MB (104,274,395 bytes)

Mirror 1: Download Now
Mirror 2: Download Now
Mirror 3: Download Now

File Part 2
md5sum: 652ae2341f17fd46631be26c28e28eac
file size: 12.9 MB (13,534,847 bytes)

Mirror 1: Download Now
Mirror 2: Download Now
Mirror 3: Download Now

and you will put them on your sd card. I would first rename them to GBpart1.zip and GBpart2.zip respectively since the names are too long and won't appear fully in recovery.

They aren't flashed through the stock files app. You will need droid 2 bootstrapper and flash them in recovery.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones