• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

32 or 64 Micro Sd card

Justin Raney

Mar 8, 2021
I purchased a onn. 32gb micro sd card for phone storage from walmart for 7.98$ and a 64gb micro sd card sandisk for 11.99$

It says the sandisk 64gb is150 mb/s and the onn. 32gb is 100mb/s.

Which one is better to use?

Its for saving photos, videos on my g power 2021 3gb 32gb.

It says sandisk is number 1 selling brand for micro sd cards and ultra plus micro SDCX UHS-1 for better pictures and full hd video.

Im not sure what the CX UHS-1 is means vs the keep onn. microSDHC full hd video.

Does it look like the 32gb says "Full HD video" will be just as good as the 64gb sandisk which also says full hd video.

What do yall guys use? I attached a photo of both products which is better to use?

I really only need one which one is the better one to use i can return the other one.

I think 32gb is enough but you never know 64gb videos may be long.

The thing is my old quest 5 use to take 400kb pictures im sure and this g power 2021 takes bigger pictures in the mb 2-3mb 1.5mb stuff of that sort better quality videos.

Can you guys direct me in the right direction the sandisk or 32gb micro sd card for my g power 2021.

Attachments

• IMG_20221123_153140007.jpg
    IMG_20221123_153140007.jpg
    649.5 KB · Views: 164
  • microsdcard (2).jpg
    microsdcard (2).jpg
    677.3 KB · Views: 85
  • microsdcard (3).jpg
    microsdcard (3).jpg
    449.4 KB · Views: 80
Ok great they both are made in taiwan, lifetime warranty V10 4k hd video, UHS-1 and U1 which i think means the same thing but the sandiskhas an A1 not sure what that means as far as micro sd cards.

I guess ill go withthe sandisk in my motorola g power 2021. Just insert it into the micro sd slot. There should be a pop up screen for sd card inserted or extra sd card storage under files? How does it adapt the 64gb to the phone and know the gb used?

The regular system shows 22-23gb i delete photos and videos from the trash and it lowers or cleans my phones storage gb.

Will the phone be able to read the extra 64gb of storage or just simply under camera settings select save to SD card and under files have an sd card location? or will they remain under the standard camera files? As far as transferring already taken photos to the sd card i think it will allow me to select all and move to SD card once inserted as well as videos?

The phone with the sd card inserted will still read the regular 22gb out of 32gb used and none will be taken up if saved to sd card under camera settings for photos videos taken correct?

Also the phone wont loose ANY of the 32 gb of storage just having the sd card inserted will it?

I attempted to put a sandisk 2gb blank but formatted with a bunch of blank folders into my zte quest 5 and phone memory read full. I think it was only at maybe 12gb out of 16gb storage inserted the blank 2gb card and went to take photos on my zte quest 5 and wouldnt as it read storage was full. Sd card was blank just with individual folders as i had plugged it into my laptop to see if anything was on it.

Upvote 0
Okay it appears the samsung 2gb old micro sd card isnt supported by my sceptar 8 tablet possibly even my windows 11 leno ideapad 3.

However with it saying "This samsung sd card isnt supported for this device" it asks me" use it for storage for this device only or for portable storage for transferring files from one device to another showing phone and tablet icon or set up later.

So when inserting the new 64gb sandisk into the motorola g power 2021 do i select "use it for this device only permanently" or for "portable storage for transferring files between devices" ?

Which do i select with the new 64gb sandisk micro sd card inserted into the phone?

I just dont want to cause catastrophic failure on the new phone by inserting the new micro sd card. Would hate to have to reformat or reset it to factory settings. Im trying to add the sd card to save photos videos from the phone to the sd card and not the phones 32gb storage capacity.

Adding the micro sd wont take up any space in the 32gb of storage correct? I already have about 1-2gb of photos videos saved on the phones memory im going to attempt to transfer to the sd card once installed in phone so it leaves 10 extra gb for apps.

Upvote 0
On my tablet sceptar 8 i tried an old basic 2gb samsung micro sd card just to see how to install and set up one it read "This samsung sd card isnt supported by this device" then opened up a manager screen asking if i wanted to use it permanently for extra storage on this device or for transferring files from different devices"

Which option do i want to select when installing the new 64gb sd card into the g power phone? I attached a photo.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221124-054653.png
    Screenshot_20221124-054653.png
    52.1 KB · Views: 82
Upvote 0
Portable storage. The "Extra Tablet Storage" mode will encrypt the card so it can't be read on another device, and it will become a permanent part of the internal storage. When used this way the card will be subject to a lot of write cycles which will cause it to fail prematurely taking your data with it, and the phone will also run slower because the read/write speeds for the card are less than that of the internal flash memory..
And as for the rated speeds of the respective cards it doesn't matter that much when using them in a phone. Those are absolute maximum performance numbers that the phone isn't capable of with an SD card anyway.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Portable storage. The "Extra Tablet Storage" mode will encrypt the card so it can't be read on another device, and it will become a permanent part of the internal storage. When used this way the card will be subject to a lot of write cycles which will cause it to fail prematurely taking your data with it, and the phone will also run slower because the read/write speeds for the card are less than that of the internal flash memory..
And as for the rated speeds of the respective cards it doesn't matter that much when using them in a phone. Those are absolute maximum performance numbers that the phone isn't capable of with an SD card anyway.
Ok so select portable storage to be used with multiple devices? LOL may i ask has anyone selected to be used on this device only and did it cause problems?

So portable storage will still work the same and my phones 32gb is at 22.9gb currently with the 7 apps i use and about 2gb in photos videos i already took on the device.

I want to install the 64gb or should i use the 32gb i think is plenty enough and use it for all photos and videos on the phone so the phones 32gb storage will only be used for apps and not photos videos.

Google photos is a good way to store all photos to a google link i think its unlimited and not have any saved on the device but is harder to access when needed quick file send thru messenger or text app.

Upvote 0
heres the 2gb micro sd card that was laying around not sure how old is but only has 2gb markings.

I attempted to install it on the tablet sceptar 8 fairly new and had the sd card icon saying " this samsung sd card isnt supported by this device" i clicked it went to that set up screen does that mean it isnt setup yet or that simply the sd card isnt compatible with the device.

This was just to see how to install and properly setup a micro sd card.

I havent opened either the 32gb or 64gb sundisk i just wanted to get one on the device to save photos and videos too vs the phones 32gb internal storage capacity.

One thing is the tablet takes a 497kb photo and the 48mp g power 2021 takes 1.5-3mb photo which takes up alot of space.

I had inserted that not labeled 2gb micro sd into a zte quest 5 and it said storage maxed out and wouldnt take a photo on camera mode just read storage was maxed out. I had plugged it into my laptop lenovo ideapad 3 before and just had a bunch of blank folders reformatted 0 kb of space taken up i believe. Not sure maybe too old of a samsung base sd card. My zte quest had 5-6 gb of extra phone storage too without the sd card and with it plugged in still had 5-6gb storage left according to files storage just the samsung 2gb cluttered my phone into not taking photos saying "not enough memory".

Attachments

• IMG_20221124_065041945.jpg
    IMG_20221124_065041945.jpg
    368 KB · Views: 79
Upvote 0
Yeah i checked the photos i take with the g power 2021 48mp camera are 4.50mb big while the tablet sceptar 8 are 450kb big. Both have android 11.

Would be nice to get one of these new sd cards setup for all photos and videos from phone to be saved to and not any saved on the phones 32gb internal storage but on the expandable storage however that works,

Upvote 0
I went ahead and installed the 64gb sandisk. I probably should have used the 32gb 8$ card as i dont have that much media to save and will have a big blank empty space but will allow 64gb of video 7 hours or so to be saved as well as 5000 photos.. Everything photos videos were transferred to sd card and get saved to the sd card. Installed right into the motorola g power 2021.

On my phone it didnt ask to permanently use as extra storage for this device only or portable storage for transferring to devices. I barely use my tablet sceptar 8 16gb but is handy for home or any wifi use.

Only thing is wish motorola has a pocket version of these g phones every year. A 1-1.5" smaller and alightly narrower phone with same specs or features would be a great option as most new phone are 6.5" display and 7" total.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones