• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 3G data transfers wont stop draining battery

jorghis

Lurker
Sep 3, 2010
My phone was working fine before the update yesterday, september 2nd. Now whenever I turn on the wireless features it drains power very fast. That icon in the upper right hand corner of the screen that indicates whether or not it is transmitting data is permanently flipped on indicating that the phone is transferring a ton of data nonstop. Additionally it is hot to touch whenever 3g is enabled regardless of whether or not I am actually using the data.

I have no idea why it insists on transferring data nonstop even when I am not doing anything. The only way I can keep my phone from running out of battery quickly is to put it into airplane mode thus disabling the data transfers.

Any ideas?

No, but I am investigating this as well - only I am rooted and on an alternate ROM.

If my WiFi is enabled, I get massive battery drain, particularly when sync is enabled, and most particularly when GPS is enabled.

If you don't need sync and GPS, disable them as well - and see if that helps temporarily.
Something is going on, since I was using Maps with traffic overlay for the first time today after the 2.2v2 update and the Droid started power cycling on its own after about 45 minutes (could have also been a heat buildup, not sure). I wonder if Google is so busy tracking our location that it is overtaxing the units . . . :D

Upvote 0
If you were using Navigation along with something else that requires access to 3G network, then that is the cause - for example, I cannot use Nav and Pandora unless I completely remove all OCing from my phone - set it to 600 MHz max in SetCPU - else it overheats. Tremendously.

Mine is a different thing - it sucks battery badly when I have GPS enabled. Not sure if it is a problem with Beautiful Widgets, just GPS in general, or something else....

Upvote 0
If you were using Navigation along with something else that requires access to 3G network, then that is the cause - for example, I cannot use Nav and Pandora unless I completely remove all OCing from my phone - set it to 600 MHz max in SetCPU - else it overheats. Tremendously.

Mine is a different thing - it sucks battery badly when I have GPS enabled. Not sure if it is a problem with Beautiful Widgets, just GPS in general, or something else....
I previously ran Maps and traffic AND Pandora with no problem (stock Droid) - something new is going on now.

Upvote 0
Yeah, you have a device with JIT finally enabled (and it was a major PITA before to enable it, which is why most ROM devs stopped enabling it in their ROMs back in the 2.1 days), plus you have an OC kernel now, courtesy of FroYo - you're not running at 550 MHz, you're running at 800 MHz.

There are a few issues with FroYo that need to be addressed, including the battery drain (and no it is not b/c of the default OC - I ran 1100-1200 MHz on 2.0.1 and 2.1 without any major battery drain) as well as the issues where Pandora stops playing when interrupted by things like Nav., as well as the inability to disable the OC, and one of the worst parts, the FRG01B patching that leaves things more broken than fixed on just about everyone I have seen using it.....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones