• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 3G drops to 1X

Just because you can... :D

Really it would only be if you're on a border area and don't want your phone flipping back and forth all the time.

So if your device is in a marginal area and it's locked into 3G it'll not drop to 1x or drop calls or other communication at all? That's cool. If it's true. Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

I'll keep an eye on this thread as info unfolds about this. My phone does go to 1x during the day sometimes, too, and in the same location. If I can keep it at 3G, good. :)

Upvote 0
So if your device is in a marginal area and it's locked into 3G it'll not drop to 1x or drop calls or other communication at all? That's cool. If it's true. Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

I'll keep an eye on this thread as info unfolds about this. My phone does go to 1x during the day sometimes, too, and in the same location. If I can keep it at 3G, good. :)

Somewhat close...

If you lock it to 3G and you're in a marginal area, you're phone won't sit there flipping between 1x and 3G. This can cause battery drain and become annoying as you will continue to drop and connect your data session.

Your best bet would be to lock in 1x in that area to maintain a steadier connection. It may not be spectacular coverage, but it's coverage ;)

Upvote 0
Somewhat close...

If you lock it to 3G and you're in a marginal area, you're phone won't sit there flipping between 1x and 3G. This can cause battery drain and become annoying as you will continue to drop and connect your data session.

Your best bet would be to lock in 1x in that area to maintain a steadier connection. It may not be spectacular coverage, but it's coverage ;)

Excellent explanation, thank you, Sundedo.

As it is, the automatic way mine runs now seems to not affect battery drainage in the main location I use it. But it is great to know that tweak you offered up there in case I need it.

I think mine's just switching to 1x when texting.. I'll keep a closer watch.

Upvote 0
Excellent explanation, thank you, Sundedo.

As it is, the automatic way mine runs now seems to not affect battery drainage in the main location I use it. But it is great to know that tweak you offered up there in case I need it.

I think mine's just switching to 1x when texting.. I'll keep a closer watch.

For most people, Automatic will work just fine. That will allow the most freedom for the phone to connect to the best network available, maintaining maximum connectivity.

If you're constantly in a border area with degraded coverage, it may benefit the user to lock in 1x to maximize battery life and network stability. The service provider won't tell you about locking the service, for a variety of reasons. So a lot of people don't know about it.

Upvote 0
In your post #20 you say "you will drop" as answer to my question about locking into 3G if there is no 3G in the area (at least that's what my question meant, may have worded it poorly).

So if locked in to 3G and there's no 3G all communication will stop? Calls? Texts? etc.. ?

Yes, if you lock the network to 3G and there's no 3G coverage available it will say "No service". I can confirm tomorrow. Unfortunately I have really good 3G coverage here so locking it in doesn't do much for me since I stay on it anyways...

I did just test locking the phone to HDR only (Rev. A). You can send texts but not receive them. It flipped over to 1x to send the text then back to 3G. It's weird that it's not doing the same to receive.

Upvote 0
what is the difference between these two?

HDR=3G/EVDO Rev A

and

Digital Only=3G/EVDO Rev. 0

also, every time a change is made, you have to reboot the phone? no way to not reboot?

thanks.

Rev A is higher down/up

What is EVDO? : EVDOinfo.com
  • 1xRTT: 50Kbps - 100Kbps Upload and Download (bursts to 144Kbps)
  • EVDO Rev 0: 400kbps-1000kbps Download (bursts up to 2.0Mbps), 50kbps-100kbps Upload (bursts to 144Kbps)
  • EVDO Rev A: 600Kbps-1,400Kbps Download (bursts to 3.1Mbps), 500Kbps-800Kbps Upload (bursts to 1.8Mbps)
And yes, you have to reboot for changes to take effect. If you didn't make any changes just hit home. That should exit out without rebooting.

Upvote 0
how can i switch 1x to 3g help plz its driving me crazy that i bought this phone supose 2 b 3g but it dnt run like one.....

If you don't have good (or any) 3G coverage in your area, you will be stuck with 1X which in that case, there is nothing you can do. If it sort of gets stuck in 1X and you KNOW you have 3G coverage in your area, which mine does every so often, try going into airplane mode briefly and then turning it off again. Sometimes this helps it reset to find the best signal. If it still doesn't work, I would take it to Verizon to get checked out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones