• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dayquil

Jun 4, 2011
I know other people have mentioned it before, but I always forget where they are and what thread they are in, so I am putting it(them) in here.

1) When I root my phone. My connection speed, checked using speedtest.net app, is cut in 1/2. I have tested before rooting, and I get ~55/80, and after rooting, I get ~20/18. I have tried two different times, just to see if maybe it was a funky root install, but the numbers are(were) relatively the same both times.

This is the ONLY thing that is keeping me from keeping my phone rooted, as I would rather not downgrade my already AWESOME 50k to a 20-25k connection.

Im not sure if this is just the area that Im in, which doesnt make sense, or what, but if there are any suggestions or what-have-you, I am open to willing to try (almost)anything. :D

Thank you

What do you mean lower speeds? I have been pulling about 1.2 meg down and 0.6 meg up before and after root. I love this phone.
LUCKY!
My speed is the average for the area I live in. I don't see how rooting could interfere with 3g.
Rooting is just unlocking the ability to give apps Super User privileges.
When you run a program as admin on a computer is doesn't slow down your internet.
(I know this is a horrid comparison, but I'm just trying to put rooting into context)
It doesn't mess with anything, it just adds the SuperUser.apk to the system so it can use it.

Upvote 0
LUCKY!
My speed is the average for the area I live in. I don't see how rooting could interfere with 3g.
When you run a program as admin on a computer is doesn't slow down your internet.
(I know this is a horrid comparison, but I'm just trying to put rooting into context)
It doesn't mess with anything, it just ads the SuperUser.apk to the system so it can use it.

I wasnt sure if my phone was going slower or if its a placebo affect. Before the root, my speeds would get 500 kbps download on ave now only around 200. Not sure why and can't think of a reason why a root would affect the speed. Maybe I am just paranoid.

Upvote 0
I wasnt sure if my phone was going slower or if its a placebo affect. Before the root, my speeds would get 500 kbps download on ave now only around 200. Not sure why and can't think of a reason why a root would affect the speed. Maybe I am just paranoid.
I guess there is lots of stuff that could be affecting it. Like the time of day you are using it. If there is a lot of people using the service at the same time the network may be stressed and have to throttle. I do get better speeds at like 3 am :)
Maybe you have some apps in the background that are using the 3g without you noticing (I would imagine the 3g icon would be active though)

Upvote 0
LUCKY!
It doesn't mess with anything, it just adds the SuperUser.apk to the system so it can use it.

you are absolutely correct

Upvote 0
I guess there is lots of stuff that could be affecting it. Like the time of day you are using it. If there is a lot of people using the service at the same time the network may be stressed and have to throttle. I do get better speeds at like 3 am :)
Maybe you have some apps in the background that are using the 3g without you noticing (I would imagine the 3g icon would be active though)

That kind of makes sense, only reason I would think otherwise, would be that I rooted and unrooted the phone and did the testing all within 20minutes. Im not using the Shabbymod though, not sure if that would have anything to do with it.

With it being so easy to unroot, I might try leaving it rooted for a little longer, see if maybe it just has to get "adjusted" to being rooted. Let it settle down, so to speak.

Again, thank you for the awesome one-click, couldnt be easier for someone who had NO clue wtf rooting even was 2 weeks ago lol.

Upvote 0
LUCKY!

Really that low? Im in the middle of no where with horrible 3g service and only have access to EVDO A network, I just tested it and I pulled my fastest yet, 2.1 Meg down and 1 Meg up :) and only a 185ms ping

Upvote 0
I'm having have the same problem with slow 3G speed. My office is literally across the street from the Sprint tower and I always have full bars. My phone is rooted and I tested speed. Could only get 30 down. I typically get 500 to 700 down. I unrooted but still the same issue. I've also tested while connected to different towers... Weird...

Upvote 0
3G speed is not dependent on software like many have stated. It boils down to network traffic, interference, and God. If you test your speed at different times during the day I guarantee you there will be significant fluctuations. At $50 for unlimited everything just be happy you got 3G.

Yeah, but the strange thing is my upload is faster (240kb) than my download (80kb) readings. That seems very odd...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones