• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root 3G mobile hotspot

Hello All,

I set this up months ago and it worked great for me when I tested it out. I tried using it last week and tonight as well but it didnt work. Although I can see the network with my laptop and it logs on showing excellent connection, I don't seem to have internet access. Internet pages dont load. I looked at my phone settings per the instructions in this thread and I couldnt find anything that changed. It even shows that one user (me) is logged into the network.

Once I change back to my home wireless network, I'm back to being able to load pages. I checked my advanced settings and DHCP is still enabled. Any other advice to try?

Thank you!

Edit: I just realized I had my Mobile connection off...once I turned it back on, everything worked fine. Please ignore!

Upvote 0
In order to avoid the possibility, root and get Wireless Tether. Don't get it from the Market, get it from the dev website, the one on the market doesn't work 100% on the Incredible with Stock ROM and kernels, but the latest version from dev site does./QUOTE]

Is there a thread specific to doing this? Or are you syainbg just the act of rooting, and then using the app called "Wireless Tether" allows you to do this? No other special instructions?

Some day soon I am going to root this phone.... Missing out on too much.

Glenn

Upvote 0
In order to avoid the possibility, root and get Wireless Tether. Don't get it from the Market, get it from the dev website, the one on the market doesn't work 100% on the Incredible with Stock ROM and kernels, but the latest version from dev site does./QUOTE]

Is there a thread specific to doing this? Or are you syainbg just the act of rooting, and then using the app called "Wireless Tether" allows you to do this? No other special instructions?

Some day soon I am going to root this phone.... Missing out on too much.

Glenn

OK - so I just rooted my DINC. Do I just get this Wireless Tether app and run it directly to do mobile wifi?

Upvote 0
Nothing happens when I dial "##778"

call confirm unchecked in go contacts, call confirm app uninstalled..still nothing

Help? or can someone give me detailed instructions on how to root + wifi my phone? confirmed working instructions please..thank u

Are we assuming that you have the HTC Incredible (original, not Incredible 2)?

If it doesn't work the first time, power down/up. Sometimes that works.

Upvote 0
This works great on my Incredible. No rooting required, but you must have the 2.2 update which enables the 3G Mobile Hotspot on the device.

As the previous posts in this thread explain (step by step):

1. Select "Phone"
2. Dial "##778"
3. Select "Edit Mode" on pop-up dialog box
4. Enter "000000" for Please Enter Password (unless you manually changed your password to something else)
5. Select "Security"
6. Select "S.IP DUN User Name"
7. Delete the "dun." part of the number (ie: it should read as: [yourmobilenumber]@vzw3g.com)
8. Select "OK"
9. Press the "BACK" button
10. Select "M.IP Default Profile"
11. Select "DUN NAI"
12. Delete the ".dun" part of the number (ie: it should read as: [yourmobilenumber]@vzw3g.com)
13. Select "OK"
14. Press the "MENU" button
15. Select "Commit Modifications"
16. The phone will reset
17. Once booted, go into "All Programs", select the "3G Mobile Hotspot", Adjust your "Router Name" and "Password" (if you desire, but recommmended), and change the security to WPA(TKIP) (this is the only setting I've tried so far-other posts said the WPA2 is buggy)
18. Select "3G Mobile Hotspot - Press to turn on" (It will prompt you that you need the Verizon Mobile Hotspot Feature- just hit "Do not remind me again" and "OK") (Also, I am using Windows 7x64, and the wifi picked up the signal right away, but it took a moment to identify-but it connected to the internet cleanly and the connection is fast)
19. Optional: Download "Hotspot Toggle" from the Android Market- it's a widget toggle to turn it on and off- seems to work good.

I checked my Verizon account immediately after using this, and I didn't see that the "3G Mobile Hotspot" feature was added to my plan.

Keep in mind: Verizon may not be checking to see how you're using your Android, but they may check to see how much data you're using through the phone. With how much data that flows through the phone without tethering it to a computer, it would be difficult for Verizon to determine if the data use is coming from the phone or tethering. But mobile hotspot could pull a lot of MB if several people are logged on. Just be cautious. A big spike in data usage could send up a red flag.

NOTE: I did not come up with this theory. I just rewrote it step-by-step due to some confusion I was noticing (hopefully I didn't miss a step).

Hi paulmz,

Thanks for the tip above, it got me excited. however, i am unable to get past step #11 as i can't edit my "DUN NAI". Using HTC thunderbolt verizon. i might be missing a step. my current DUN NAI is at 00000000000@dun.vzw3g.com . Adroid current version is at 2.2.1. it seems that all seetings in the M. IP Default profile is not editable. any tips would help. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Hi paulmz,

Thanks for the tip above, it got me excited. however, i am unable to get past step #11 as i can't edit my "DUN NAI". Using HTC thunderbolt verizon. i might be missing a step. my current DUN NAI is at 00000000000@dun.vzw3g.com . Adroid current version is at 2.2.1. it seems that all seetings in the M. IP Default profile is not editable. any tips would help. Thanks!

As far as I know, this only works on the HTC Incredible.

I have never heard of it working on any other device.

Sorry.

Reactions: earamiro
Upvote 0
I have been using this for about a year unrooted and rooted. I use it every night, almost all night long. I know I am not getting charged extra for using it.

When I wiped my phone, i had to do this over again and the dialing ##778 took a few minutes to load but just wait for it.

I tried to do this on other Htc phones but it doesn't work. Nor does it work on moto droid.

Upvote 0
I've been paying for hotspot. And i went over my 5GB and called verizon and they said I couldnt get a bigger plan. So I'm paying 5 cents or 50 cents a mb . My bill is already 100$ over and i didnt even download anything. Watched a couple youtube videos. I did called ##778 and followed the instructions. I can connect to internet but my question is am I going to get charged because on myverizon i see that i'm using over my 5GB. I'm in such a bad situation right now. I'll probably rack up a $500 bill and throw my broken screened phone away and go back to not haveing a cell phone.

Upvote 0
I've been paying for hotspot. And i went over my 5GB and called verizon and they said I couldnt get a bigger plan. So I'm paying 5 cents or 50 cents a mb . My bill is already 100$ over and i didnt even download anything. Watched a couple youtube videos. I did called ##778 and followed the instructions. I can connect to internet but my question is am I going to get charged because on myverizon i see that i'm using over my 5GB. I'm in such a bad situation right now. I'll probably rack up a $500 bill and throw my broken screened phone away and go back to not haveing a cell phone.

I think you need to look deeper at your itemized bill and find out where your data charges are coming from. If you aren't doing much of anything on the phone, you should incur minimal data. I use my phone a lot in various ways- downloading apps, watching videos, email, netflix, web browsing- on a daily basis. With all of this I usually only rack up about 1 or 2GB of data per month.

According to Verizon's website, their data plans go higher than 5GB and some include Mobile Hotspot:
2GB $30
5GB $50
10GB $80
4GB (Includes Mobile Hotspot) $50
7GB (Includes Mobile Hotspot) $70
12GB (Includes Mobile Hotspot) $100

If you can't figure it out, talk to Verizon customer service. Sometimes they can figure out a problem. But I can't see how you would be using more than 5GB unless you're using your device to surf the web on a laptop all day. Also make sure that you have your Hotspot password protected. Maybe other people are using your connection while it's on.

Finally, using the information in this thread to gain access to the Hotspot only cuts out the monthly fee. Verizon will still track the data usage regardless. They can't really tell how you're using your data, but they can tell how much you're using.

Upvote 0
Ok thanks for the response. I have been on the web with my pc a lot. I'm sure I did use all 5 gnarled up. I talked to customer service and she wouldn't do anything for me said they don't have any deals with my phone and location. It's going to be next Thursday when the new internet gets put in my apt. I guess I can still use my phone to use the web but my screen is cracked badly and insurance wants 99$ for replacement so its a pain. Well thanks for takingvthe time to answer my question.

Upvote 0
I've been searching all day through forums and I can't find anyone who has mentioned editing the S.IP and/or M.IP settings on an X2. Once I enter the SPC password I don't have a "Security" or "Edit" option. Out of the available selections that I do have (listed below), after going through all of them I do not see the settings to change the S.IP and/or M.IP.

The available selections I have after immediately entering the SPC password and then "Verify" are;

01 User Activation
02 AKEY
03 Extended NAM
04 SID/NID pair
05 Mobile P_REV
06 Test mode
07 Data call settings
08 SMS/MMS settings
09 HTTPS proxy settings
10 Proximity sensor
11 CMAS Test Settings
12 IMS Test Mode

I've also had every attempt to use CDMA Workshop and QPST end up as being unsuccessful. Neither program can ever find the phone and I've also used them in conjunction with the HW Serial Port Emulator program. When I've used these programs, I had the Droid X2 set in PC mode and USB storage mode. I've had USB debugging checked and unchecked. I've also tried while the phone is in the EPST menu and while sitting in recovery mode. Any help would, obviously, be greatly appreciated! :eek:

Upvote 0
I've been searching all day through forums and I can't find anyone who has mentioned editing the S.IP and/or M.IP settings on an X2. Once I enter the SPC password I don't have a "Security" or "Edit" option. Out of the available selections that I do have (listed below), after going through all of them I do not see the settings to change the S.IP and/or M.IP....

Um... as far as I know, this method only works on the HTC Droid Incredible (1). Hence the thread listing.

I have not heard of this working on any other type of device.

Upvote 0
Um... as far as I know, this method only works on the HTC Droid Incredible (1). Hence the thread listing.

I have not heard of this working on any other type of device.

My bad, you're right! My only excuse for not paying attention to that is being so frustrated from searching all day yesterday. :p I will try to find an associated forum for the DX2 (or Moto phones) about this topic if one exists and repost. If not, I'll just start a new one. Thx...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones