• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 4.0 Upgrade

LG is not releasing ICS for the Esteem. The LG Revolution (same phone w/Verizon) is not even getting it. In fact any LG handset that is not in the list below will not be getting it.

https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=334420639902596

I honestly have zero faith in Facebook or Twitter updates from manufacturers especially LG, I remember when they said the Optimus line would not get updated to Froyo or Gingerbread(think Gingerbread) because the devices couldn't handle it on Facebook, but they sent the update anyway.

Upvote 0
The Metro version of Optimus was not updated to Gingergread 2.3. It's still officially on Froyo. LG rolled out Gingerbread to other Optimus around the world, and even to the Sprint version here in the USA but Metro discontinued it on purpose before LG could give it to us -- so we would have to buy an HTC Wildfire or Samsung Admire to get 2.3 with an Android phone with similar specs to the LG Optimus.

I know what a load of sh*t Im glad I got the lg esteem for free in a trade.. best thing thats ever happened to me. Now if I can get ICS or some non bloatwared version of android on this phone thats the ultimate goal!. My poor GF has the wildfire and holy f*ck its loaded to the rim with crap and youtube and on here = 0 results in fixing the crap

Upvote 0
That n paid carrier customers are locked into a 2yr contact, so carriers have to make it worth it for them to stay. ;)
Very good point i strongly agree!

I know what a load of sh*t Im glad I got the lg esteem for free in a trade.. best thing thats ever happened to me. Now if I can get ICS or some non bloatwared version of android on this phone thats the ultimate goal!. My poor GF has the wildfire and holy f*ck its loaded to the rim with crap and youtube and on here = 0 results in fixing the crap
Yea best bet to find a root method for it and get all that bloatware removed.

Upvote 0
I honestly have zero faith in Facebook or Twitter updates from manufacturers especially LG, I remember when they said the Optimus line would not get updated to Froyo or Gingerbread(think Gingerbread) because the devices couldn't handle it on Facebook, but they sent the update anyway.

Tell the whole story, if you are going to tell that much. :rolleyes:

Not quite right. At FIRST LG said it wouldn't get an update, allegedly due to CPU limits. But within 24 hours LG had to reverse and PROMISE the Optimus would indeed get a 2.3 update because Google Android team said LG was full of bull that the CPU in the Optimus couldn't handle Gingerbread. :p

Who knows better, LG or the actual Gingerbread team? ;)

Read more here:

LG Optimus One WILL Get Gingerbread, After All
http://phandroid.com/2010/12/09/lg-optimus-one-will-get-gingerbread-after-all/

And in fact all the 600 MHz CPU Androids STILL coming out (HTC, Samsung) show the LG Optimus (aka Optimus One to the rest of the world) can in fact handle Gingerbread 2.3. So, LG then promised it would, THEREFORE the "revised" Facebook/Twitter announcements were correct.

Metro discontinued the LG Optimus before the update could happen, then are now selling HTC, Samsung and upcoming ZTE Androids with the same/similar specs. :rolleyes:

Metro: "You want Gingerbread? You gotta pay us for Gingerbread."

________

Metro did allow the Huawei Ascend to upgrade from 2.1 Eclair to 2.2 Froyo, but that's only because it was such a sucky phone, Froyo could only improve it and help sales. Plus, it was the only Android in like the whole world that launched during that time with ancient 2.1 Eclair instead of 2.2 Froyo. :eek: So, 2.2 just made it not be pre-historic at that point.

Metro won't do that again, I'm sure.

You want ICS? You'll have to pay for ICS.

Upvote 0
Ill pay for the ics but i dont see how metro would would advice us to buy it when they cant even stop exploits on their custom made firmware from android.

If they ever do or encourage something that benefits the customers, there will be surely people supporting metro. In this case , if the do encourage us to pay for our own ics upgrade with fairly good affordable prices then we all happy and agree .

Upvote 0
I tried to root my old phone (Asend) and i messed it up pretty bad and i really like this phone so i dont think i will be doing that. Hopefully metro will get smart and get a device with 4.0 if not im switching to someone who is smart
That's not really realistic thinking imho.
Show me one other carrier who won't throttle and/or charge for extra...zero, zip, zilch....
And someone who wants ics & belongs to modding community will likely not be very happy with someone else...unless if they have really deep pockets...but even then which carriers even allow unlimited & uncapped usage 'even if the customer is willing to pay whatever'?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones