• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 4.4.2 to 4.3?

Hello, Rick Ace, welcome to Android Forums! :)

In order to roll back to a previous version of Android, you would need to root your phone. A factory reset would just put your phone in to a "out of the box" state, as in not registered to any Google account.

From 4.4.2 to 4.3 you would be downgrading - there's a new update available 4.4.3 which contained many bug fixes. Have you thought about upgrading to see if that solves your issue?

Upvote 0
A few months ago I upgraded to 4.4.2. I don't really notice anything better. And the permissions manager don't really work anymore on 4.4.2.

Can I do a factory reset, and then upgrade to 4.3?
On my HTC M8, I installed an app from the Google Play Store called "App Ops Starter" that is supposed to access, turn on, and make visible, the hidden permissions manager under 4.4.2. Take a look. I got interested in a permissions manager when HTC Sense asked for permission to access my Facebook friends list and post things to them "on my behalf".....Denied!

Reactions: Rick Ace
Upvote 0
Hello, Rick Ace, welcome to Android Forums! :)

In order to roll back to a previous version of Android, you would need to root your phone. A factory reset would just put your phone in to a "out of the box" state, as in not registered to any Google account.

From 4.4.2 to 4.3 you would be downgrading - there's a new update available 4.4.3 which contained many bug fixes. Have you thought about upgrading to see if that solves your issue?

Hello. Thanks for the warm welcome. :)

I originally thought that resetting the phone would also reset it to the original OS that shipped with the phone? And from that point, I could upgrade to 4.3.

I haven't received the OTA update for 4.4.3 yet. I'm using an unlocked phone from Google Play. Perhaps, something is wrong?

On my HTC M8, I installed an app from the Google Play Store called "App Ops Starter" that is supposed to access, turn on, and make visible, the hidden permissions manager under 4.4.2. Take a look. I got interested in a permissions manager when HTC Sense asked for permission to access my Facebook friends list and post things to them "on my behalf".....Denied!

I tried several apps including "Advanced Permissions Manager", but none of them functioned well. I'll try out the App Ops Starter now.:D

Edit:

This is really weird. I just received the update just a minute ago. Will download and upgrade. :p

Reactions: D-U-R-X
Upvote 0
Just so you know, the ability to alter app permissions was an experimental developer freature that was never intended to be released to the general public. Support for that ended with 4.2 and isn't likely to come back in future versions.

Yes, I'm aware that the experimental feature is probably not coming back. But it was such a pleasant feature.

I've upgraded to 4.4.3, and so far, I'm pretty pleased with the dialer/dial-pad GUI. And it looks like the camera has improved too. A small but useful update that will keep me hooked to KitKat. xD

Thanks guys. :)

Reactions: D-U-R-X
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones