• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No Voicemail Notification S8 and Note 8

We have two devices. Samsung S8 and Note 8.
Both do not display a notification in standby (locked, dark screen) mode when a new visual voicemail is received. No sound. No LED. We have to use our psychic powers to guess if there are any new VMs. Voicemails do pop-up about 15 seconds after we check for them.

The voicemail app is Xfinity Mobile Voicemail, ver2.10.0.006
Android software updated, ver. 9
Provider: Xfinity Mobile

I have (but not in this order)...
Cleared phone and voicemail data and cache, and Android cache
Disabled Do Not Disturb
Disabled voicemail and phone from battery saver and optimization functions
Disabled 'put app to sleep'
Enabled LED indicator
Enabled notifications wherever I could find them
Allowed app while data saver is on
Enabled notification reminders
Reset VM (*86)

Consulted chatGPT for a long list of anything to check. (Good list, BTW)
Asked chatGPT for more (and I got more)

Spent the better part of 5 hours both with "chat" and then a Tier 2 Xfinity agent

The agent advised me that I have an old phone and the new technology utilized by Xfinity Mobile is not compatible with such old tech.
Suggested changing to Samsung's Visual Voicemail (wherever I'd get that) and that I would lose all previous VMs.

Really? Xfinity's upgrades disable VM notifications?

I'm betting on 'user error' of some sort, although it's interesting that both phones have lost notifications.
SMS notifications work.

I'd love to learn any additional steps I might take, short of a new $1200 Samsung S23 Ultra.

TIA

DrCarl

If their Tier 2 tech told you, ...Xfinity Mobile is not compatible with such old tech... It's probably true. Both phones came with Android 7 and you have upgraded them to Android 9, which is as high as you can go. I'm on Android 13.

The only thing I can think of is: Can you get an older version of Xfinity Mobile Voicemail? Like through APKMirror https://www.apkmirror.com/

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones