• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

4g Hotspot Wireless Tether to Mac Laptop - Made Easy

SlickVick

Dec 12, 2011
So, I used to tether easily with my motion using the default 4g wireless hotspot in the apps drawer - both by usb cable to a desktop and wirelessly to my laptop.. I have the $55 unlimited plan and never had issues with limits or extra charges.. A couple months ago, things got shitty and the wifi would not work with the laptop, it connected, but pages wouldn't load, not even google..

Apparently Metro put something in place to curb abuse and so now wireless tethering via the 4G Mobile hotspot wont work with many laptops.. Well, I have a mac and I use Firefox and I found an add-on that works flawlessly. Its called 'user agent overrider'..

Search for the app, then download & install the add-on to firefox. Restart Firefox and you'll see a new toolbar tab on the upper right of your browser window. It has a dropdown list - click it and select firefox android... Bam! Done, and now I have my 4g tethering back, fast as ever and working perfectly..

Hopefully this helps a few of you out. I was really stumped as to why it worked so well and then suddenly stopped. It took me quite a while to figure this out because my phone is rooted and I thought I may have changed a setting that interfered with the functionality of the hotspot.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones