• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root 5.0.1

thisISjoel

Android Enthusiast
Feb 16, 2014
Sydney
I know it's still pretty fresh, but I'm running 5.0.1 stock, un-rooted and I'm on the fence about whether to root or not...

I was running 5.0 rooted with Franco kernel and it was a fairly unstable experience, apps force closing, sleep of deaths, etc. so when I updated to 5.0.1 I decided to keep it stock (for a few hours at least).

There are a couple things I am missing though, namely colour profiles (stock my colours are quite dull and washed out looking) and ad blocking (I was using AdAway with tremendous success previously).

What I would like to know is if anyone if on 5.0.1, rooted and/or running a custom kernel and if so can you reflect on your experience? I'm curious if the issues I was having were 5.0 bugs which have been fixed in 5.0.1 or if I should just stay stock for a while and enjoy the stability (with the draw back of washed out colours and ads).

Thanks in advance for any and all replies :)

I don't have much useful information. I ran 5.o stock for a short while, but it was rooted with no problems. Added Franco kernel (r68 and 69) and all was fine (greater battery life, as expected, although 5.0 is pretty good). Then went to Cataclysm ROM +Franco so I could get a few extra features while waiting for DU and now am finally on Cataclysm 5.0.1 with Franco. I've had zero problems or stability issues and all of my apps seem to handle Lollipop just fine. Chomping at the bit to move back to DU.

Upvote 0
Using cataclysm with elementalx. Cataclysm is pretty close to stock so I still get the same sot as I was on KitKat (about 3 hours) with location on (battery save) and hotword off. Rooting also helps calm some unnecessary wakelocks to help battery life, in my case GCM (google cloud messaging -play services) cause the most drain for me.

Upvote 0
I'm so glad to see I'm not the only one waiting for du...... Loll....

Tried several versions including cataclysm. I need the carrier work around built in. I have learned how to get it working in cm and others, but it's not elegant like du. And they have other instabilities.....

Currently using a version of cm12. Bills itself as a beta. Thought I had found a daily driver until du. Till I tried to set the alarm clock.... Loll... Oh well....

Probably going back tonight. And impatiently wait....

Merry Christmas!!!!

Reactions: Hook
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones