• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root 5.5.886 to ICS

chazz1005 said:
johnlgalt said:
chazz1005 said:
johnlgalt said:
chazz1005 said:
johnlgalt said:
chazz1005 said:
Hey bro,

I have a bionic but it is currently on 886. It's been out of service for a while now and I had to do a factory restore on it shortly after I left verizon. I wasn't able to receive any updates and had no reason to use it so it sat around for a while.
I just recently rooted it using motofail and modded it so now I'm using it on AT&T. I've been wanting to update my phone for weeks now but I haven't been able to find the update files, especially to 893. I know its been a while but I'm hoping you still have them so please send the files to me if you do. I expect I'll probably have to do another factor restore but hopefully I won't need to.

Thanks in advance!

You might be better off just skipping over the updates and using the FXZ instead, since you modded it the updates may not take. Of course, that would depend upon the mods, and what version you want the phone to be at.

I have all the files (updates and mods, including the FXZ for the latest ICS). Using the FXZ would be the cleanest route, especially if you want to get to ICS, as we recommend doing a factory data reset when moving to ICS anyway.

Let me know about the mods and where you want to finally end up at and then I'll get you the appropriate links.

Sent from my rooted BIONIC running ICS 6.7.247 (!) via Tapatalk 2

I want to get to ICS so which ever way is the smoothest I'll go for. I'll just follow your advice cuz I'm sure you know a lot more than I do.

Lol thanks. I need to know what you are on now.

Oh I'm on 5.5.886 right now. All I did was root it with motofail and used the forever root. After that, I used radiocomm to turn on the GSM features of the phone and made it so that I can use it on AT&T, which I am right now. I didn't install and change roms, kernels, or anything like that. I've just been tweaking things here n there and I honestly don't remember every single thing I've done so that's why I was thinking I should do a factory reset and then upgrade from there

You can try factory reset and then upgrade and then upgrade and then upgrade and then upgrade....or, you can get titanium backup, make a backup of your data, copy your internal storage data to your HD, and then use the 6.7.246 FXZ to go directly to ICS - Personally, the backups will help keep your data, but more than a few apps will go stupid and will (probably) need to be uninstalled and then re-installed from market. A (very unlikely few) may not even be compatible.

The best bet in your situation is to probably do the second method. You can skip the Titanium Backup if you just want to start from scratch, and don't mind your apps being clean slate, so that you ahve to set them all up again.

I would personally go the FXZ route myself - but I am a very technically savvy person, and I've been dealing with this phone since day one, learning its intricacies and nuances from the get go. Plus, I'm heavy into he rooting community, so....since there is no restriction on being able to root ICS, that is a good thing, meaning you can blast away everything and then start from scratch.

If you don't want to erase your internal storage, I can help you accomplish that as well, by modifying the script in the FXZ to skip that step. Honestly, in the situation that you're in, going directly to ICS via FXZ is probably your best bet.

Going straight to ICS sounds good! I already have the pro version of titanium backup and have already backed up all of my apps so I'm probably all set to get this started.

OK, so here is what we discussed in PM.

Upvote 0
It would be best to find that out before we begin - b/c of the locked bootloader, it doesn't allow going backward, and if you upgrade to ICS, you cannot go back to GB in any way, manner, fashion, or form. IOW, if you cannot flash the ICS version of the BIONIC over to AT&T via RadioComm, then you're hosed and out of a (working) phone.

Where did you find the instructions for flashing this over to AT&T?

Upvote 0
I first saw it on a video on youtube and then after A LOT of time on google, I was able to find the latest version of radiocomm along with the instructions. I didn't save the link but I'm sure I can find it again. There are a few bugs and the data drops sometimes but overall it works pretty well. I was thinking that the dropped data connections was connected to the connectivity problems the bionic had when it first came out. I haven't been able to find anything online regarding the connection problems the bionic has on AT&Ts network so I guess I'll just be the guinea pig

Upvote 0
We'll want that link. Also, I need to verify a couple of things in it.

The connectivity issues you face may, indeed, be due to the fact that yours is still on .886. Connectivity was mostly fixed only after 5.9.902 (2 updates from your .886) but seemed ot revert a bit in .905. .246 has been amazing for me (well, I'm actually on a leaked .247, but I think I'm reverting tonight to the official myself).

As for RadioComm itself, I think I have the latest and greatest, 11.x, right?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Lol, no worries, mayne. This is what we do here.

You're lucky in that you caught me at a time when I started coming back here - I've been on hiatus b/c I'm defending my Masters thesis in less than 2 weeks. but, since I'm about to 'downgrade' from the .247 ICS leak to the official .246 ICS release, I needed to do a bit of reading.

Upvote 0
Oh, for crying out loud. In the phone settings (from *#*#INFO#*#*, not under settings in Android) I can select from any of the following:

• WCDMA preferred
  • GSM only
  • WCDMA only
  • GSM auto (PRL)
  • CDMA auto (PRL)
  • CDMA only
  • EvDo only
  • GSM/CDMA auto (PRL)
  • LTE/CDMA/EvDo
  • LTE/GSM/WCDMA
  • LTE/CDMA/EvDo/GSM/WCDMA
  • LTE only
  • LTE/WCDMA
  • Unknown

However, the instructions in that link you posted earlier say GSM/UMTS, which is not one of the options. I think, though, that you should be able to get it working one way or another, even if it means using RadioComm again. I'm just worried that using RadioComm on this phone with ICS + the locked bootloader will brick your phone, and that is why I am hesitant to jump into anything.

Mind waiting for a day or so until one of those folks in that thread reply? I'm usually pretty gung ho about trying stuff out, but that is when it is *my* phone, not someone else's phone. I can usually fix most thing that I might do to my phone, but if I am not there physically, it's a lot harder to troubleshoot if something goes wrong....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones