• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

5.9.902 is official!

Got my first replacement phone on Thursday. It had scratches on the glass, so I didn't even bother activating it. They sent another and I received it yesterday. It looked like new so I went ahead and activated it.

So, different phone, NEW SIM card, same issue. :thinking:

I'm not sure what to try next other than removing all of my apps and maybe pulling all of my pics and other stuff off them SD card and formatting it.

Any other ideas?
I would tend to believe that you have an incompatibility issue with one or more apps. Try a factory reset and run without installing any apps for a couple days. If it's OK install one or two apps at a time and run a few days before installing others.

Upvote 0
HTML:
Did you try turning off the pocket detection? It's in the display settings. That's all I can think of.

I just checked and it wasn't turned on. It hasn't been anywhere but sitting out in the open on the arm of the chair next to me for the last couple of hours and it's still doing it.

Actually, it's acting a little different than it was before. It still stays black when I try and wake it up, and then does the mechanical sound, but now if I just leave it it ends up starting up by itself, probably after about 20-30 seconds without me having to do a battery pull.

Upvote 0
So now, I have now performed a factory reset on the REPLACEMENT device, there are NO apps installed from the market (or anywhere else), I have formatted the SD card and I am STILL having the same problem.

I did miss that you had done a factory data reset at the direction of Verizon ... sorry.

In the state that it is currently in since it is a replaced naked device that is
wiped and it is still not waking up half the time it must be frustrating as hell.

If the problem only happens when you are in one location then perhaps it is being basked in some kind of radiation that is inducing the problem. If it happens at work and at home then you could ignore that.

The only off-the-wall idea that comes to mind was two experiences reported in this forum when using 5.5.886. One person when using the keyboard it would enter extra digits. He made a video of it and posted it. He had the same experience on multiple Bionics. Other people could use the same Bionics without the errors being introduced. Conclusion ... it was his body charge/chemistry.

There was another single-person-only problem nagging at the back of my memory but is not popping up.

To pursue that test would be to come up with a method to insulate the Bionic from your body when you push the power button to wake it up.

If that did solve the problem it would show that you are another person with a body chemistry that is incompatible with the Bionic.

... Thom

Upvote 0
Just a friendly reminder folks.... no matter how frustrating the issue there is no excuse for rudeness to others, either when offering or accepting advice.

Thanks.

p.s. could this be caused by a sub-par battery e.g. not delivering the correct voltages? Reason I mention it is this is very similar to what happens to the GS2 if it's undervolted too far - the first symptom is a reluctance or even inability to resume from sleep. Just a thought that occurred to me.... Peter did comment that he's using the same battery as with his previous handset.

Upvote 0
I sorted through that XDA thread and found the correct file by comparing file sizes. Update worked perfect for me and I even retained root (with Forever Root). Because of the confusion over there, rather than linking I decided to host the correct file on my Dropbox for now.

Here's the verified correct .902 update file.

Remember to defrost any frozen bloat first. Good luck and happy updating! :D

I have a plain vanilla Bionic (no root, no custom rom) and I am running 5.5.893.XT875.Verizon.en.US but I can not get the OTA update so it appears to me that the link in above (from post #10) is the correct link for me to download (even though the name of the file does not include 902?) but the file is a zip file. I can unzip the file but how do I install the file after unzip?

Please help.

Upvote 0
I have a plain vanilla Bionic (no root, no custom rom) and I am running 5.5.893.XT875.Verizon.en.US but I can not get the OTA update so it appears to me that the link in above (from post #10) is the correct link for me to download (even though the name of the file does not include 902?) but the file is a zip file. I can unzip the file but how do I install the file after unzip?

Please help.

That's how Motorola names the files, it isn't named after the number that you're upgrading to (902), rather it is named for the current system that you are upgrading from.

The zip needs to be flashed from recovery, and you do not unzip it first. Leave it as it is when you download it, and put the zip file on your SD card.

Turn your phone off. Hold down both Vol Up and Vol Down buttons, and while still holding them, press the power button. At the menu that shows up, press volume down until you highlight Recovery, and then press Volume Up to select it. When the Android with the ! symbol shows up, press both volume keys together again. You'll see "Update from SD card" is an option on this next menu. (I think at this menu, the Power button is now your "select" key, so once you scroll down to the Update option, press power to select it). Then choose the Zip file on the SD card and let it update.

Reactions: neil154
Upvote 0
PowerBomb - Thanks for a complete response!
I will give it a try in the next couple of days. The reason I need to do the update by download is because when I check for the update I get a message which says "Check for update is not available at this time. Try again later." and Verizon and Motorola are both saying I need to do a factory reset which I don't want to do. I am hoping that if I do the update by download it will also clear up this issue.

Upvote 0
PowerBomb - Thanks for a complete response!
I will give it a try in the next couple of days. The reason I need to do the update by download is because when I check for the update I get a message which says "Check for update is not available at this time. Try again later." and Verizon and Motorola are both saying I need to do a factory reset which I don't want to do. I am hoping that if I do the update by download it will also clear up this issue.

No problem. If you need more help just go on YouTube and look for videos about booting a Bionic into Stock Recovery, that way you can actually watch someone else do it.

How to boot into stock recovery Bionic - YouTube

I never did it and am a little confused by what I've read elsewhere ... can you put the ZIP file anywhere on the SD or SD-Ext card or do you need to put it in the root of the SD-Ext card?

... Thom

I've actually never had to load anything through stock recovery either, so I'm not certain, but I would assume everything should go on the root of the external SD card, which is always how it's done with custom recoveries and ROMs. I've noticed that custom recoveries seem to have the option to let you access both the internal and external SD card, but the stock recovery may only let you access sdcard-ext.

Upvote 0
I've actually never had to load anything through stock recovery either, so I'm not certain, but I would assume everything should go on the root of the external SD card, which is always how it's done with custom recoveries and ROMs. I've noticed that custom recoveries seem to have the option to let you access both the internal and external SD card, but the stock recovery may only let you access sdcard-ext.

This is correct. When flashing a file from recovery, it should always be placed at the root of the external SD card (sd-ext).

Upvote 0
This is correct. When flashing a file from recovery, it should always be placed at the root of the external SD card (sd-ext).

I keep reading about this technique for 5.5.893 and 5.9.902 and every time it says that the author has not actually flashed it.

Are we sure it will not harm the user data on the SD and SD-Ext cards?

... Thom

Upvote 0
PowerBomb - Thanks for those great instruction on how to install the upgrade. I just completed it and it worked like a charm.

The only bad news is when I try to check for software update on the phone I still get the same message that the function is not available. So Iguess now everyt ime the Motorola issues and update I will have to do the install myself since Motorola claims the only way to fix it is to do a factorty rest which is a royal pain in the you know where.

Reactions: PowerBomb
Upvote 0
yup, I really don't see any difference other than the version number changed to 5.9.902.XT875.Version.en.US.

I am sure I will see some subtle differences as I use the phone.

I would really like to complain to Motorola management about this issue since the function not available is a Motorola problem and they are too laxy to fix it (spoke to the normal tech support people but would like to discuss with Management).

Upvote 0
Thom, flashing should leave all your data the way it is. Software updates just affect the /system portion of the Android system, data should not ever be touched unless you do a factory reset, or choose to wipe data from a recovery menu.

Thank you. Should. That was understood. The question was ... did anyone do it and did it prove out? The report from neil154 was the first report I have seen where someone did it and concludes that their data waw intact.

... Thom

Upvote 0
...could this be caused by a sub-par battery e.g. not delivering the correct voltages? Reason I mention it is this is very similar to what happens to the GS2 if it's undervolted too far - the first symptom is a reluctance or even inability to resume from sleep. Just a thought that occurred to me.... Peter did comment that he's using the same battery as with his previous handset.

This is an odd one ... it would seem to come down to one of the following ...

-- Radiation
-- Induced shock from specific user
-- Bad battery
-- Bad SD-Ext card (really seems unlikely)

... any opinion on most likely would seem to be simply a guess.

Swapping the battery would be an easy test.

... Thom

Upvote 0
Thank you. Should. That was understood. The question was ... did anyone do it and did it prove out? The report from neil154 was the first report I have seen where someone did it and concludes that their data waw intact.

... Thom

I manually flashed both the .893 update and the .902 update. On both occasions my user data was untouched, on both the external SD card and the Media Area (internal SD).

It's the same file and the same process as receiving an OTA update, except for the manual steps to obtain the file and initiate stock recovery. Once stock recovery begins flashing the file, from there on it's the same as an OTA.

Upvote 0
Just had my data drop off for the first time on 902. Right in the middle of browsing on xda. Turn screen off/on and data came back on... Weird

Ahh! Just did it again! Anyone else having this issue on 902?

By the way I am in a big 4G area with 4 bars most of the time. I am beginning to think this may be a network issue...

Upvote 0
Just had my data drop off for the first time on 902. Right in the middle of browsing on xda. Turn screen off/on and data came back on... Weird

Ahh! Just did it again! Anyone else having this issue on 902?

By the way I am in a big 4G area with 4 bars most of the time. I am beginning to think this may be a network issue...

I think I'm seeing data drops too. I see the 4G with the bars next to it go from blue to white, and when it goes back to blue again it checks my email (which I hate it doing on it's own, I thought I had it set to manual fetch) and when it's white, it puts me offline on my MSN Messenger.

But I too an wondering if it's a phone issue or some sort of network thing as it didn't start happening till a couple of days ago.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones