• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

50MP camera, but app only creates 30MP photos

Sunny Rio

Android Enthusiast
  • Dec 4, 2020
    I've got a Moto G31 2nd hand, just received it and set it up. It says on the back (and the specs I find online) it has a 50MP camera. Yet in the camera app, under settings, photos, rear photo resolution, I see "high resolution", "recommended: 7.5MP", "4.8MP". Weird they don't recommend the full one. Anyway the full one (which doesn't say the resolution), saves 30MP files. I checked after transferring to computer. The other two are what they say. How do I get 50MP?

Last edited by a moderator:
    How are reading that they are 30mp?

I hope someone has the answer to your question. I just checked my photos from my Pixel 7 which has a 50mp camera and they are all 9.1 mp with stock setting. I'm not big into photos so I have never checked my photos before. I did a google search on the issue and didn't find an answer.

Reactions: ocnbrze
    Upvote 0
    You should be able to increase it. The default is stupid, mine actually said "recommended" and was set at 7.5MP! Whhy on earth would you buy a good camerra and deliberately downgrade it?

Go to settings in your camera app, then under photos (and video) you should be able to change it to "high resolution". For me that ups it to 30MP, but I'm still missing 20....

Reactions: AugieTN
    Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones