• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

5400mAhr battery for GNote - review

strangename

Lurker
May 16, 2012
I've seen a few posts about spare / replacement batteries for the Galaxy Note. This one is about the Mugen Power 5400mAh Extended Battery (HLI-N7000XL) specifically designed for the Note (N7000 / International model). This is an internal battery, not a plug-in external unit.

To be clear, I'm not a professional reviewer and have no vested interests in Mugen. This is not a scientific review but based on my actual experience. For a more controlled scientific analysis of battery discharge time bv the minute, or whatever, you'll need to look elsewhere. However I believe it's real life experiences which really matter.

I tend to pick up first impressions of a product based on the visual quality of the packaging, case finish, instructions, etc. The Mugen product did not disappoint at this stage. It was simply packaged but effective in protecting the contents and easy to get into. The instructions where easy to read and make it clear that it's necessary to fully charge and discharge the battery for 3 or 4 times before it carries a full charge. This took well over week to achieve due to the long life of the battery between charges!

The Mugen battery is, as you might expect, physically larger and heavier than the stock Samsung Galaxy Note battery. But the increased size offers in excess of a doubling in capacity so with normal use needs much less frequent recharging. Indeed the main points of my comparison are size/weight, longevity, and price/value.

Physical Size and Weight
The thickness of Mugen 5400mAh battery at around 13mm is a fraction over twice that of the standard 2500mAh Samsung Note battery. This means the stock rear cover has to be replaced by a deeper one to accommodate the larger battery. The Mugen battery comes complete with the larger cover, which also incorporates a neat flip-out side stand. This turned out to be a handy addition and one I increasingly found myself using. The replacement case felt to be of at least as good quality as the original and fitted perfectly. The overall thickness of the Note roughly doubled so the overall effect isn't as sexy as the thin original, but in practise I found the Note was easier to hold, particularly when out and about. The Mugen case was also slightly pimpled, similar to the original, which gave a feeling of confidence that it wasn't going to slip out of my hand.

On to the battery itself. The weight of the stock Samsung Note and battery is around 180 grams. The Mugen 5400 and Note weighed in at around 240 grams. This represents an overall 25% increase in weight. In practise the heavier battery slightly changed the weight balance of the Note but after picking up and using the Note a few times I hardly noticed it. It did feel heavier when in my pocket but not uncomfortably so. I also found I could no longer slide the Note into some of my smaller pockets. To quote a great Yorkshire friend of mine: "You get owt for nowt", which in this case basically means if you want a larger capacity battery it'll take up more space and weigh a bit more! (This is almost true because Mugen do also market a slightly larger capacity standard sized battery at the original size.)

Longevity
First, just in case you don't know what mAh means: It stands for milli-Amp hour and basically it's a measure of battery electrical capacity or storage 'size'. Everything else being equal, the bigger the number the longer the electrical power should last. The issue is that for many non manufacturer supplied batteries everything else is not equal. The inequalities range from mislabelling/over ambitious claims (I call it lying), to poor battery design such that it overheats or leaks or just fails sooner than it should (some might call them cr*p batteries). Of course such inferior batteries are usually cheaper to buy!

I tested the stock Samsung Galaxy Note 2500mAh battery with WiFi and GPS permanently enabled and sync set to 30 minutes. I used the Note frequently throughout the day for 2G (voice and text), WiFi and 3G surfing, Facebook, Twitter, newsfeeds, email, diary and the occasional game. The battery was charged overnight using the USB from my Desktop, and so started the day at 100%. By 15:00 it was down to 30%. By 19:00 it was down to 10%.

I then did the same using the Mugen 5400mAh battery. By 15:00 on Day 1 the charge remaining was down to 70%. It reached 40% at 12:00 on Day 2 and 13% by 19:00 on day 2. Wow! This was over a doubling in elapsed time over the standard battery.

Real life experience:
The above test reflects much heavier use than I'd normally make of the Note during a typical weekday, where I'd see the stock battery at around 20% at 23:00 each day. At weekends I usually have to top-up the charge during late afternoon or risk running out.

Using the Note as I would more normally, but with the Mugen 5400mAh battery, I found that I used GPS more (I do a lot of walking and track my route) without worrying about running out of power. I was not having to think about saving power for later use as I knew there was plenty available. I also didn't have to top-up charge during the day at all. The Mugen battery comfortably lasted two days and sometimes three before reaching the 10% to 20% mark.

Price and Value

The RRP for the stock Samsung 2500mAh battery is around

Useful review, thanks! Still toying with the possibility of getting one, although I'll probably give it a miss 'cos I've already bought a spare batt and an external charger off Amazon.

One things for certain, for mid to heavy usage (me most days) the Note doesn't last a full day on a single battery, so either option is a necessity for heavy users. Coming from an iPhone previously, it's very handy having a fully charged spare in my wallet.

Upvote 0
I personally don't have a need for something like this. GPS, mobile data and WiFi are switched off when I don't need them and invariably the handset is plugged in at the office. For these reasons at the end of day I am now seeing around 80-90% charge. The pregnant bulge on the back of the Note is a big price to pay for both aesthetics and not being able to use a protective case of one's choice. That said, there will be times when being out of the office for long periods and without the ability to charge overnight and using GPS and mobile data for long periods will threaten battery life. But for me the obvious solution is a compact external battery. I'm hopefully getting a Mophie Juice Pack to test (I have no affiliation with then, but I did have a chat with them at a press event recently). I'll let you know how I get on with it once it arrives.

Ian

Upvote 0
i have a samsung galaxy note about 8-10 months old.....i lost my charger which i got with it and now using another chager....the phone is not getting charger properly....it takes around 2 hrs to charge upto 20%...and i think the charging port has loosen up...m not sure if it is the charging port which is causing the problem or the charger...what if the battery is also weak..?? what could be the case plese reply fast....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones