• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A Conversation With the Makers of the Galaxy SmartTag2

Samsung

Android Expert
May 14, 2014

Summary

• Determine location of nearby Galaxy users through Galaxy SmartTag regardless of distance
  • Battery life extended to 500 days
  • Find lost items from a short distance with UWB technology-based Compass View feature
  • Newly added Lost Mode feature
  • Discover unregistered Galaxy SmartTags and prevent unauthorized location tracking
  • 23% (23 out of 100) of Galaxy SmartTag owners use more than two

Full Story​

“Where did I put it?” It’s a thought most people can relate to after losing their belongings. Samsung Electronics is putting an end to searching and stressing with the Galaxy SmartTag2 — a mobile accessory released in October that provides a simple, convenient solution for locating items.

Just two years after the launch of its predecessors, the Galaxy SmartTag2 has returned with a design upgrade and substantial feature enhancements based on user feedback.

Samsung Newsroom sat down with Dalwon Kim and Kiyoung Kwon, Product Planners of the Galaxy SmartTag2 at Samsung Electronics, to discuss key aspects of the product and its improvements.

SmartTag2-Interview_main1.jpg

Dalwon Kim and Kiyoung Kwon, Product Planners of the Galaxy SmartTag2

Rugged Design: IP67-Rated Usability With Metal Loop

Building off valuable user insights gathered during the launch of the Galaxy SmartTag and Galaxy SmartTag+, the Galaxy SmartTag2 was developed with a focus on the user experience to improve comfort and increase satisfaction.

The most noticeable change with the Galaxy SmartTag2 is its design — reducing the product size and thickness resulted in a more portable device. The new metal loop improves functionality and adds an air of sophistication to the product.

SmartTag2-Interview_main2.jpg

The Galaxy SmartTag2 Silicon Case (sold separately) allows users to carry their devices safely and conveniently.

“After analyzing thousands of reviews of the previous iterations, we noticed some feedback about minor inconveniences that affect the user experience,” explained product planner Dalwon Kim. “Our goal for this version was to create a design that is smaller, lighter and attachable anywhere. We also wanted to make sure the battery was not easily removable. We took outdoor activities into account and made specific improvements to enhance the product’s durability, such as adding IP67-rated water- and dust-resistant features.”1

Added Convenience With Compass View and Lost Mode

Improving the features of the all-new Galaxy SmartTag2 began by asking how the company can allow users to make the most out of their Galaxy SmartTags in any environment. By harnessing the global network of Galaxy products, Samsung was able to strengthen Galaxy SmartTag’s versatility and utility through two features — Compass View and Lost Mode.

“The Galaxy SmartTag2 has evolved significantly to make it applicable in a wider variety of scenarios,” said Kim.

SmartTag2-Interview_main3.jpg
Dalwon Kim explains the features of the Galaxy SmartTag2.

The Galaxy SmartTag2 still operates with Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) and Ultra-Wideband (UWB) technology, a feature originally adopted for the Galaxy SmartTag+.

Taking a deeper look at what’s new, Compass View is an upgraded feature available on the Galaxy SmartTag2 and takes the Find function to the next level.

When using Compass View on the Galaxy SmartTag that relied solely on BLE, users had to physically move closer to lost items to strengthen the signal. However, the new Galaxy SmartTag2 builds upon the innovations of its predecessors and introduces a more intuitive way2 for users to locate their belongings by displaying both the direction of and distance from the misplaced object.

“With the Galaxy SmartTag+, users had to monitor the signal strength to gauge their proximity to items and then tap Find Using Camera before turning the mobile device around,” explained Kim. “Through Compass View on the Galaxy SmartTag2, the direction and distance to the lost item are automatically displayed when you reach a certain distance — an arrow icon appears on the screen, pointing in the direction of the item. It’s as simple as using a compass.”

SmartTag2-Interview_main4.jpg

The Galaxy SmartTag2 can also be attached to bags and luggage.

The Galaxy SmartTag2 also introduces Lost Mode,3 a new feature powered by near-field communication (NFC) technology that will be handy in a variety of situations. If Lost Mode is activated and someone with a NFC-compatible device discovers a lost item, they can scan the Galaxy SmartTag2 — allowing them to access the owner’s contact information and any personalized messages.

Extended Battery Life: Up to 500 Days of Usage

The Galaxy SmartTag2 boasts an impressively long battery life4 — offering approximately 500 days of continuous use or more than double that of its predecessors. When the new Power Saving Mode5 is activated, the battery life can stretch to 700 days or more than four times that of the previous versions. “Although Galaxy SmartTags are designed to track both locations and lost items, most users primarily utilize them for location tracking. We introduced the Power Saving Mode to cater to this preference,” said Kim.

SmartTag2-Interview_main5.jpg

Kiyoung Kwon explains the product features of the Galaxy SmartTag2.

“One of the most common points raised in user feedback was related to battery life,” said product planner Kiyoung Kwon. “Our primary objective was to extend battery life — ensuring it could span several months or more.”

Compared to the Galaxy SmartTag+, the Galaxy SmartTag2 offers a longer battery life at a more affordable price point. “This achievement was made possible by implementing a new chipset solution and improving software mechanisms,” he emphasized.

Strong Security Features and Unauthorized Tracking Detection

The main goal of the Galaxy SmartTag2 is to assist users in locating their cherished belongings. However, it is crucial to recognize that location-tracking services can be exploited.

To prioritize user safety and privacy, the Galaxy SmartTag2 incorporates robust security features through Samsung Knox. “Galaxy SmartTag2 location data cannot be accessed without the user’s consent, and all user data is encrypted and safeguarded by Samsung Knox. Furthermore, location data is shared only with individuals designated by the user,” explained Kim.

SmartTag2-Interview_main6.jpg

SmartTag2-Interview_main7.jpg

Using the “Unknown tag alerts” feature can prevent misuse of the Galaxy SmartTag2.

The Galaxy SmartTag2 can also detect unknown Galaxy SmartTags in the vicinity to alleviate concerns about unauthorized tracking. “Unknown tag alerts,” a feature within SmartThings Find,6 identifies any unregistered Galaxy SmartTags nearby and sends a notification7 to alert the user against unauthorized tracking.

“This feature offers assurance and an added layer of security,” said Kwon. “Regardless of the device, users are provided with transparency to help avoid misuse of the Galaxy SmartTag.”

Why 23% of Users Opt for Multiple Galaxy SmartTags

Users familiar with the Galaxy SmartTag recognize its practicality. For every 100 people who own a Galaxy SmartTag, 23 people own two or more. This number has more than doubled since last year and continues to grow.

The upgraded Galaxy SmartTag2 is expected to be adopted by an even larger user base for a wider range of applications. Kim and Kwon, the minds behind the product, underscore the Galaxy SmartTag2 as a mobile accessory that offers “peace of mind.”

SmartTag2-Interview_main8.jpg

“We’ve improved the product’s features with a strong focus on enabling users to conveniently locate their lost valuables from a distance,” said Kim. “I’ve heard of cases where the Galaxy SmartTag was used to catch thieves and prevent other crimes, which made me very proud as a product planner. We will continue to do our best to create products that users can continuously rely on wherever they go.”

“I hope that the Galaxy SmartTag2 can become an integral part of people’s lives,” said Kwon. “I want the Galaxy SmartTag to be the first solution that crosses people’s minds when they need to find their lost belongings.”

1 The Galaxy SmartTag2 is rated as IP67. Based on lab test conditions for submersion in up to 1 meter of freshwater for up to 30 minutes. Not advised for beach, pool use or soapy water. Water and dust resistance of device is not permanent and may diminish over time.
2 For the Galaxy SmartTag2, Samsung account log-in and registration on SmartThings Find is required. The Galaxy SmartTag2 needs to be paired with ultra-wideband (UWB)-enabled Galaxy smartphones with Android 11 or higher to fully function. Accuracy may be reduced if there’s an obstacle between you and the tag, such as when the tag is inside a drawer, behind a wall or in a car.
3 Contact information and message shown on Lost Mode must be registered beforehand on the SmartThings app.
4 Battery life is based on results from internal lab tests for typical usage pattern scenarios conducted by Samsung. Tested with results from a pre-release version of the device using inbox CR2032 battery. Actual battery life may vary depending on different usage patterns, environmental conditions, the replacement battery manufacturer, and other factors.
5 Non-Power Saving Mode, expected battery life under typical usage conditions is up to 500 days. Power Saving Mode is limited to basic Bluetooth finding functions (for example, Search Nearby signal indicator and map).
6 Non-Galaxy users can access the “Unknown tag alerts” feature in the SmartThings app’s settings.
7 Users must have the “Unknown tag alerts” feature activated to receive notifications of unregistered Galaxy SmartTags.

Source: Samsung

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Anyone have a Galaxy Smart Tag?

I used to have Tile back in the day but when it ran out of battery, I never renewed it. Curious what the best options are now for device tracking accessoires.

I have the SmartTag 2. Currently using it to keep track of my backpack that holds my work laptop (which I am awaiting a new work laptop).

It works, but for remote location tracking there has to be a Galaxy device nearby with communication enabled.

Upvote 0
I received the original SmartTag with my S21 Ultra purchase. I've never used it. I've considered a SmarTag 2 for my bicycle. The battery, which key locks into the frame for use, and has a slot to house a tag. The design is to accommodate an apple tag which I would find useless. If the tags are the same size, I could see using a tag for tracking purposes in case of theft. My bike is never out of sight however so I've not pursued the protection.

I have considered placing a tag in my golf bag. It is often left unattended while registering in the clubhouse and buying beverages etc. Theft of clubs is uncommon but do happen. Clubs are expensive and could easily walk off while out of sight.

Upvote 0
It works, but for remote location tracking there has to be a Galaxy device nearby with communication enabled.
Yeah, that's the limitation of all of these bluetooth trackers. But that's the price of having the long battery life: put the GPS & cellular technology into them, so that you can track them even when there is no other device they can connect to, and you get a much shorter lifetime and a much higher cost.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones