• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

720p or not?

quantumrand

Android Expert
Sep 2, 2009
Anyone know definitively if the Nexus S can record 720p videos or not? The launch page, Nexus S ? The new Android phone from Google, contradicts itself.

On the Features page, it claims the Nexus S can capture "HD Video."

The rear-facing 5 megapixel camera is capable of taking stunning pictures and HD videos that you can share with friends and family. The front-facing camera can take VGA quality images and video.

But on the Tech Specs page, it says it can only record 720x480, which is ED at best, not HD.

720 x 480 video resolution

So which is it? All signs point to no 720p, but maybe it's just due to premature drivers?

Sorry to resurrect and old thread, but I just wanted to point out that Google has changed the Features page for the Nexus S, removing that mention of "HD" in the camera section. This actually happened a few months ago, but I forgot I made this thread.

I think this was a very sneaky move by Google, especially since they didn't outright admit to the mistake (at least from what I can tell); they just quietly covered it up.

Upvote 0
Sorry to resurrect and old thread, but I just wanted to point out that Google has changed the Features page for the Nexus S, removing that mention of "HD" in the camera section. This actually happened a few months ago, but I forgot I made this thread.

I think this was a very sneaky move by Google, especially since they didn't outright admit to the mistake (at least from what I can tell); they just quietly covered it up.

Oh wow...if that's true, that's very very sneaky of Google :/

Upvote 0
Even though it doesn't have 720p recording, it still manages some pretty good quality in my opinion, more so than some true 720p capable phones.
That's true, the video is decent quality for a phone. And after using a phone with 720p and comparing to my Canon HD 1080 camcorder, the image quality is horrid. Granted it's like comparing apples to oranges, but no phone is going to give you great video...the physics right now doesn't allow for it. So although the numbers say it's not great, the Nexus S does ok for video.
;)

Upvote 0
I was pissed too that it wasn't as advertised, however...

The HTC Desire I used before had 720p but it had terrible frame rate issues and just wasn't all that impressive. The NS shoots silky smooth video at acceptable quality, by that I mean acceptable for what I'll ever need it for, facebook, youtube etc. If I ever want/need to shoot really good quality footage I would never reach for a phone, I'd choose a dedicated device every time.

For sure HD video on phones will always be a desirable feature but the NS shoots pretty good SD clips.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones