• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A generic "Is this phone good?" question and what not.

dwang040

Dec 17, 2013
I was really excited that the xperia z5 was coming to canada since I could then buy it through some website unlocked and get it shipped to the us. However, my mom randomly decided no, since I wouldn't get warranty
(even though I root my phones anyways, so it's not like the warranty is worth anything at this point) and she didn't trust it or what not... Now that I can't get the z5, will the htc m9 live up to it's name? See, I don't care about extra features, I mostly care about battery life, cause every other feature is quite pointless, if your phone is dead. Does the htc m9 really have a long lasting battery (someone got 10 hours of heavy usage with the battery saving mode on). Also, how bad and crappy is the camera? I do take pictures with my phone on vacations, but I don't want the images to be under or over exposed, really "mucky" and what not. Do you have any other suggestions? I've thought about samsung and lg, but I've heard terrible stories about their battery life. I will not take an iPhone since I cannot stand ios and the iPhone is way overpriced. And no oneplus or oppo phones since I can't "ship" them. Will the htc work out well for me, or will a miracle occur and sony says, "Yes, lets release the phone in the us market." Thanks guys

If you think a Nexus is too big, probably a OnePlus would be large for you as well. But then most decent phones tend to be around 5.5 inch or a bit more, screen-size these days. All Nexus phones should be available in the US now, seen as they're Google :) I've never seen one, with me being in China, but what I've read about them. Have a look at our Nexus phone forums, plenty of info there on them. :thumbsupdroid: All recent Samsungs you'll definitely void the warranty by rooting them AFAIK, because of Knox. HTCs or LGs don't know so much about, not really taken much interest in them or seen them much here. China phones, like OnePlus and Oppo, is what I really know!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Does the htc m9 really have a long lasting battery (someone got 10 hours of heavy usage with the battery saving mode on). Also, how bad and crappy is the camera? I do take pictures with my phone on vacations, but I don't want the images to be under or over exposed, really "mucky" and what not.

I bought my daughter a HTC One M9 a couple of months ago to replace her Windows Lumia which started failing big time.

I just asked her about it, and this is her remarks. She is 40 y/o for a point of reference.

1. Playing games: it gets very hot
2. the camera is awesome
3. the photo editor is far superior to her other phone
4. the battery life is twice that of her old phone and she says it has never really been "low", but she has a jewelry store on FB and it is uploading a lot of pictures to FB for hours at a time.... so she plugs it into the charger while she is processing the pictures.

that is the same way she uses the old Windows phone, which by the way she is keeping to use as a Camera and WiFi upload to FB while the other phone is being used to set up more inventory for photos....

so, for her, she is getting a better deal. Keeping the old phone to use on Wifi and a new M9 to use in Real Life as a phone and inventory control manager.

. I don't know if FB pictures impress you are not, but here is her page.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/495529463888839/

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have an Oppo in the US. All I can say is check the bands. I use TMOUS and they are messing with frequencies trying to add the lower bands like 12, which is TMO 700,
It does come with Band 17 700, and also Band 4. I like the phone.

TMOUS is getting mfg to hold off or disable their band 12. They are trying to switch to VOLTE, and a generic band 12 will get data, but you can't call on it. You would see 4 bars of service, and no calling out. A lot of people don't see that and get annoyed for no text and voice. Plus the FCC is mandating 911.

I'd prefer the data for the kid on Viber.

We used to take the bike all over the Colorado Plateau, and there's either no service or it was Verizon (CDMA). TMO phones in the US did have wifi calling over any wifi. It worked but came out of your minutes. We just used to turn phones off to save battery.
Didn't bother us then, wouldn't bother us now.

The Oppo was so basic and let me either delete or disable all the crap I didn't want, it came without more stuff than a Nexus and I didn't have to root it.

Color OS isn't that bad, and the phone will use Nova Launcher.

Upvote 0
Yeah, the m9 is expected to overheat due to themetal casing. But im surprised that the htc m9 photos came out fine. Anyways, I'llask her about a oneplus one or an oppo of some sort. And yeah , Ido have T-mobile, and world knows what they are doing with the volte stuff. I'll double check with them about oneplus and oppoo
Thanks for the replies guys.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones