• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help A little bit of an issue?

So recently I dropped my Samsung Galaxy Core Prime into a puddle, and it appeared to completely stop working for a few days. The screen would flicker, and would be unresponsive, but just the other day, it magically started working what I seemed normally again! I was surprised! However, there were things I quickly noticed over the past few days of being reunited with my phone, and a very clear thing. Firstly, the phone was taking much longer to charge, even when switched fully off, it takes around 4 - 5 hours just for a full charge. And when it is fully charged, the battery drains extremely fast, even when using light demanding apps. Just last night it went from 100% to 20% in about 2 hours without me using anything on it. Before it lasted a whole day, even using high demanding apps! Another thing I have noticed is that the phone appears to overheat extremely fast, just by having it on a few minutes on the home screen. I figured this is what may be causing the battery draining, but I am not completely sure why it happens. Also, when at a fairly low percentage, I put it on charge whilst using some apps then it sometimes says: "Battery over voltage V3 (or V4 sometimes)" (I use a battery app called GSam), then the screen starts to go weird and doing things without me tapping, then after a while possibly shuts down and loses all charge.

I would love any help or advice on what to do to fix this, as I am not due an upgrade until December, and I would love my phone to be able to be "normal" again. I have had it for just over a year, and before I dropped it the battery was perfectly fine and it didn't overheat. I have tried things such as putting it on a cold surface or on the windowsill to cool it down, and it does, but it soon overheats again, and doesn't seem to affect the battery drainage.

Feel free to ask me any questions - I'll try my best to answer!

Thank you :)

OK, it may be a bit late now, but if you get your phone wet the first things you should do are remove the battery if possible/turn off if not, shake/mop off what water you can, then place it in a sealed jar or bag of dessicant (silica gel, uncooked cous-cous or uncooked rice if you don't have that) for a couple of days. Do not attempt to turn it on during that time - doing so if there is still moisture in the phone is likely to do further damage. If it is dirty water you could try washing it with lab alcohol (not drinking stuff), since residues left behind after drying can cause further problems.

As things are now, my first advice would be to back up everything of value on the phone. I doubt anyone could tell what has been damaged without opening the phone up, but fast drains & heating do not sound good, so you want backups in case the phone simply fails on you. It might be that an alcohol wash would remove some dirt that's causing the problem, but it's also quite possible that corrosion is the issue and there is nothing to be done (and it could get worse). There is no sure fix for moisture damage.

Upvote 0
OK, it may be a bit late now, but if you get your phone wet the first things you should do are remove the battery if possible/turn off if not, shake/mop off what water you can, then place it in a sealed jar or bag of dessicant (silica gel, uncooked cous-cous or uncooked rice if you don't have that) for a couple of days. Do not attempt to turn it on during that time - doing so if there is still moisture in the phone is likely to do further damage. If it is dirty water you could try washing it with lab alcohol (not drinking stuff), since residues left behind after drying can cause further problems.

As things are now, my first advice would be to back up everything of value on the phone. I doubt anyone could tell what has been damaged without opening the phone up, but fast drains & heating do not sound good, so you want backups in case the phone simply fails on you. It might be that an alcohol wash would remove some dirt that's causing the problem, but it's also quite possible that corrosion is the issue and there is nothing to be done (and it could get worse). There is no sure fix for moisture damage.

Ok thanks, I will back up everything, and I might get a professional to take a look. Thanks

Upvote 0
I would just prepare to replace the phone. From your description there is no question the water did some damage, and the cost of repair will almost certainly exceed the cost of that phone by a lot. Even the cost of having it looked at is probably excessive relative to its value.
And as was pointed out the proper time window for acting on this has long passed

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones