1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Accessories A Look at the Carbon Fiber Phantom Skinz (Video)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jbhumph, Aug 5, 2010.

1. jbhumph

jbhumph Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2010
    Hey guys and gals! I know a few people asked me to post a review of this once I got it so grabbed my video camera and shoth a quick look at this. Sorry, I'm kinda tired today....hopefully you can't tell :p

I know I goofed on a few of the edges and by no means claim I did a "perfect" application. I know I can fix some of the corners, etc. and probably will when I get motivated. But, anyway...

Here's a link...hopefully it helps!

YouTube - ‪Motorola Droid X Carbon Fiber Phantom Skinz Quick Look‬‎

Advertisement

New ERA and JubbaTheHutt like this.
  2. HalfFrozen

HalfFrozen Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    AZ
    Looks very sexy, but my friend who got the same exact thing on his original droid said it peels off very easily... :(

So I am torn in half... lol

I may try it one day though...

3. JubbaTheHutt

JubbaTheHutt Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    I was going to ask, just how easy this skin may peel off? In the sense that I'd be worried that if I were to ever resell or return the device that it will be a bitch to remove, or that it would leave residue...or on the flip-side, that the skin doesn't adhere after prolong use.

After watching your video, I noticed someone posted a video of the WHITE carbon-fiber version for the X, and it looks absolutely horrible (as far as the two-tone look goes).

Thanks for the video!

4. jbhumph

jbhumph Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2010
    Yeah, I'm not sure about removal. I have heard that it comes off though but I'm not sure? You can tell my edges aren't all straight. I can peel them off and there isn't and residue underneath...and when I reapply heat, it adheres again and so far hasn't come off without me wanting it to...but then again, I've only had it for one day. Maybe someone else knows?

I definitely agree about the white! Not for me, personally.

5. ashykat

ashykat Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2009
    Irvine, CA
    This stuff is http://www.carbonfibergear.com/direct/3m-di-noc-carbon-fiber-vinyl They have it in a bunch of colors much cheaper than you'll pay phantom skinz for. You'll just have to cut it yourself. :) It peels off very easily when you want it to but holds up pretty well against use. If you use a blow dryer briefly the edges stay down better. Another nice thing about it is that you can peel it back if you put it on crooked and it re-adheres very well. I've made skins for a bunch of my phones using it.

6. theineffablebob

theineffablebob Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2010
    How would you go about cutting it?

7. 92slammer

92slammer Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2010
    middle GA
    ive got it and have had it since launch day....has held up nicely and looks great

8. ashykat

ashykat Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2009
    Irvine, CA
    Professional places use a laser cutter but I've used an X-Acto knife and gotten good results.