1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Support a quick question regarding internal memory (kinda need answers quickly :) )

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by CraigGB, Sep 9, 2010.

1. CraigGB

CraigGB Member

Aug 26, 2010
    hi,
    basically 3UK have offered me the desire for

Advertisement

2. Stucky

Stucky Well-Known Member

May 11, 2010
    The new OS (2.2) allows apps to be stored on the SD card, which saves internal memory. I've gt a few apps installed, some on SD others internal, and still have 76mb free. Most apps are pretty small and don't use a lot up

CraigGB likes this.
  3. jay_kay

jay_kay Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Marketing & Communications
    Essex
    Before the froyo update I got on perfectly ok with the internal memory. Most apps are under 1mb and none are really over 3mb so don't see it being a problem at all.

I am not on Froyo and I have over 50mb spare at all times :)

So no I don't see this as an issue at all.

CraigGB likes this.
  4. Tunga

Tunga Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2010
    If it becomes an issue then it's a pretty painless process to root your device and then and install a ROM (version of android) which automatically installs all of your apps on your SD card.

CraigGB likes this.
  5. mikebell

mikebell Well-Known Member

May 19, 2010
    Villa Straylight
    I have about a dozen apps that I've downloaded from the Market. Most of those are installed in the phone's memory - in time you can expect most apps to feature the option to move them to the SD card.

Despite this, I typically have 70MB free and have never encountered a situation where I was low on memory.

If you're the kind of software slut who downloads hundreds of free apps, you might want to have a think about the limitations first. But then again, you'd be better off having a really good think as to why you'd want to do that in the first place, IMHO.

CraigGB likes this.
  6. pspbricker

pspbricker Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    From my point of view - it's a big pain. The Apps2SD on 2.2 Froyo should have helped, but at the time of writing, very few apps support Apps2SD. Just as an example, I use Navigon, which takes 26MB. Updated Facebook takes 11MB. Contacts storage 26MB. Maps updated 11MB. Add a few small apps under 1MB, and I get running low on memory warnings - thus push email and updates no longer work. I used the non-root method of forcing apps on to the SD card, and although it helps, many apps can't be transfered and others can only move a certain amount from internal memory. Don't want to root, and rooting doesn't solve the problem completely either.
    512MB is not enough internal storage but it is the only gripe I have about an otherwise excellent phone, and although it's a pain, you can live with it.

CraigGB likes this.
  7. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    Its no way near enough and a2sd froyo is shoddy too. best bet is use the Mod installation location method, or root and get 12sd+

CraigGB likes this.
  8. CraigGB

CraigGB Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Hey Everyone,
    thanks for your earlier replies. I haven't decided on anything yet but I don't think I will go with the Desire now. looks like a awesome phone but I'm now leaning towards the Galaxy S (in the hope samsung will fix any current issues with it in the near future :p). I can get it for

Tags: