• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A Sith Lord hijacked my Nexus 6

joe71

Android Expert
Jan 14, 2011
Nevada
Okay, yesterday I was out and about running errands. I was somewhere standing in line and decided to pull out my phone and check the news. I was scrolling through the articles and saw one that caught my attention. However I accidentally opened the wrong article, something about this Jedi master/Sith Lord name Snook, Snoki???. I scrolled through the article and hit the back button. I opened the original article I had wanted to read. Half way through it, this image started to slowly appear behind what I was reading. It was an image of the Snook guy. His image took over the article and soon I had this creepy eye staring at me.
I hit the home button and there on my home screen was Snook.
I soon out that Snooks image had taken over my lock screen and home screen.
So I did a reboot.
Nothing
The image remain.
I rebooted again.
My regular lock screen appeared, follow by the regular Google launcher home screen. I am running pure and simple Google stock ROM/launcher. Having to many issues. Not downloading or installing a lot. So I am thinking that whatever was going on with my phone cleared up.
I finished up with whatever I was doing and went home. I get home pulled out my phone to set my alarm and there is Snook again on my screen.
I close all windows and yet there he is.
I rebooted
He's there.
I rebooted again.
Snook remains.
So I power off and do the cache wipe.
I do it multiple times.
Finally I rebooted. Every thing seems good.
However within a few minutes, Snook is back.
So I do another cache wipe, followed by a reboot. I actually did several more cache wipe
And there he was staring at me, Snook. I rebooted and Snook was gone, or so I thought.
I laid down for a nap and set my alarm for thirty minutes. When it went off there was Snook.
I went to turn off the alarm and couldn't. Decided to power off. Only it didn't happen. I pressed the power button and held it . Nothing.
I kept pressing and pressing.
Snook remained on my screen mocking me.
Finally I got my phone to power off
I rebooted again for what seemed the 100th time.
The phone came back on and there he was once again.
So I once again went through the process of clearing the browser history for Google and chrome, I decided to clear the cache history again.
Finally I rebooted and Snook was gone.
I got an email notification and went to check it, as I was opening the Gmail app, who's face should appear once again on my home screen??
Snook!
I have to say I was getting a little irked and was about to get even more irked. Because when Snook came back this time, everything on my screen disappeared, even the app drawer.
I tried to lock and unlock the home screen and yet Snook remained .
Then my phone went dark.
I knew the battery was at 70%
So I decided it was time to vanquish this Sith Lord guy for good.
I did a factory reset using the power button and volume control keys. I did the option several times.
I went back through the set up which took over an hour, because my phone went into a boot loop. I had this circle appear on the phone screen and it was spinning and spinning changing from this yellowish color to a dark blue to a mixture of colors. At first I thought the phone was doing a self diagnostic.
After twenty minutes I started to think the Nexus 5 boot loop problem had made it's was to my phone.
So I power off and on.
I went through the set up process again. Roughly an hour later I was back up and running.
I put the phone on the charger and for several hours I didn't use my phone.
Finally I decided Snook was gone for good, however I wasn't taking a chance.
So I cleared the cache and did another factory reset and set everything up. Several days later things are going good
Snook has not returned.

Reactions: bcrichster

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones