• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A sweet score for my EVO and 3500 mAh battery!

Unbelievable, we are still dealing with battery life issues. I get 16 hours of HEAVY use on my stock battery. See my sig to fix your network issue OP. You'll get 3 days of heavy use once you fix your phone.

I don't think you can say you have any HEAVY use when your processor never goes above 30%...

To the OP:
I don't like the look of the clearish case and the off-color battery... but it's nice that you fit that battery in there.

I never have a problem with battery life. Even on high usage days, I make it 8-10 hours on a battery, and have a couple spare china batteries. For $10... I have a stock-looking, stock sized device and have enough spare batteries to last the longest most strenuous days.

Upvote 0
with constant use (ie screen on an I'm doing something 85%-95% of the time) I get 4-5 hours of battery life.
I do not have the network issue to do anything about,
I do not have more than 1% or 2% time without a signal,
that is not using wifi,
not using 4g,
not rooted,
not using you tube (because it never works, locks up after less than 1:30 on every video and I have to task kill it manually),
not using video chat,
not using IM at all,
google talk is auto killed and not running,
facebook is set to sync manually,
news is also auto killed,
flicr is set to manually sync,
peep is the only twitter account app and is also set to manually sync,
my email syncs every 3 minutes during peak hours (9-5) and every 30 mins off peak.,
my phone is not set to use GSM towers,
manually selecting CDMA again (it is already selected) does not change the battery life,
your memory card has nothing to do with your battery,
I have done a hard reset,
I do have the new update.
GPS is almost always off, never on for more than 5 minutes unless I am actively using it,
weather sync is set to manual
using HTC sense
not using ATK or ATM

NOW, I do get 15-22 hours of battery life when I charge in the evening to 100%, then unplug the phone after 10pm, turn off mobile networking, turn off syncing, turn off wifi (if on), turn off the auto screen brightness, kill all games and xScope (web browser) manually, then leave the phone on (for my alarm clock) and do not play any games for more than 3-5 minutes at a time, with light web browsing and email reading (read 2-4 hours spread out over the rest of the time). I can normally make it until 330pm or 430pm and I'll have 10%-25% battery left, I have left it until 6pm before charging and still had 8%-9% battery after talking on the phone for 10+ minutes at 5pm. but that is a normal, non-Evo, usage day.

I do have an Evo now, and I DO use it a LOT more than my old phone (HTC Touch), and the battery DOES last longer than my HTC Touch did with it's 2.2 inch screen. am I unhappy with my battery life? NO WAY, getting more than 6 hours for me is awesome! Am I still patiently waiting for my 3500mAh battery from Seidio? HELL YES! Do I think it will make the phone too thick? HELL NO!! even with the 3500mAh the Evo will be thinner than any slider Android phone ever made (before the Evo launched), and will only bee 1mm or 2mm bigger than my HTC Touch. I can't even describe to someone one what 1mm is/looks like/feels like, so how will I notice it? if anything it means the back of the phone will touch my hand while I am holding it, I say that is good, that means I can grip it better and it is less likely to be dropped.

Now back to the OP post, I would get that back cover IF I could find one with a sweet design, or completely clear, as I want the red to show out, but not looking like that...

Upvote 0
Just an idea, maybe you could paint the inside face of the case so it would look like intended with the argyle pattern on a black background, or any other color you want. Maybe paint for car and airplane models will work since they are made for plastic. consistency would not matter since from the outside it will look smooth.

I'd be worried about getting paint chips floating around inside my phone if I did this.

Upvote 0
I'm more like the OP. Who cares what the phone looks like?

Contrary to what some people think technology and gadgets don't make you cool. Unless you're using an iPhone, wearing your hipster clothes, and hanging out at Starbucks you're not as cool as you think. [For those incapable of reading between the lines -- that was sarcasm.] But I must acknowledge that there are a collection of folks who purchase technology with the intention of impressing others. Skipping the part where it should be functional first.. and pretty second. Why does a phone need to be good-looking? What about a good looking phone makes the internet faster or my calls clearer? Does a good looking phone make it go faster?

Having the phone work for more hours is extremely valuable to some people. There are a good percentage of people who purchased the phone to use. And for those people the OP's case may come in pretty handy.

Upvote 0
I'm more like the OP. Who cares what the phone looks like?

Contrary to what some people think technology and gadgets don't make you cool. Unless you're using an iPhone, wearing your hipster clothes, and hanging out at Starbucks you're not as cool as you think. [For those incapable of reading between the lines -- that was sarcasm.] But I must acknowledge that there are a collection of folks who purchase technology with the intention of impressing others. Skipping the part where it should be functional first.. and pretty second. Why does a phone need to be good-looking? What about a good looking phone makes the internet faster or my calls clearer? Does a good looking phone make it go faster?

Having the phone work for more hours is extremely valuable to some people. There are a good percentage of people who purchased the phone to use. And for those people the OP's case may come in pretty handy.

Why does a functional phone have to be ugly, and why is a pretty phone not functional, they are not mutually exclusive, you can have both. I am in the design profession, have an M. Arch, and designing for function is not done separately from designing the look and feel of something. They both inform each other and can complement each other. If the phone doesn't look good then you can guess that not much thought went into the other aspects as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones