• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root a2sd working funny....?

teh_dude

Android Enthusiast
Jun 13, 2011
Arlington/Denton, TX
I'm using the Sense rom, and even with the latest update, this rom had seemed to magically let me free up a whole bunch of the phone's internal memory with a2sd, and it all worked great. I was still using the original 2 GB SD card that comes with the phone.

Today I switched to an 8 GB SD that my friend gave me. It was the one he used to use until he upgraded to a 16 GB one on his. I partitioned it in recovery as follows: linux swap 32 mb, ext3 1024 mb, fat32 remainder. I got all my apps set back up, but even after migrating as many user apps as I could except the few that need to stay on the phone to work properly, I no longer have 100+ MB remaining in phone internal memory. It's still only at 36.9 MB remaining according to Titanium Backup. With the same apps, I used to leave many more on the phone, and I'd still have over 100 MB left.

I also notice that whereas with my original SD, Titanium Backup used to show me how much space was being used in the a2sd partition, and it no longer does.

This 8 GB card is a class 2 card. Nothing is force closing on me despite a bunch of people saying its such a bad idea to use class 2 for this.

Any ideas anyone?

I'm using the Sense rom, and even with the latest update, this rom had seemed to magically let me free up a whole bunch of the phone's internal memory with a2sd, and it all worked great. I was still using the original 2 GB SD card that comes with the phone.

Today I switched to an 8 GB SD that my friend gave me. It was the one he used to use until he upgraded to a 16 GB one on his. I partitioned it in recovery as follows: linux swap 32 mb, ext3 1024 mb, fat32 remainder. I got all my apps set back up, but even after migrating as many user apps as I could except the few that need to stay on the phone to work properly, I no longer have 100+ MB remaining in phone internal memory. It's still only at 36.9 MB remaining according to Titanium Backup. With the same apps, I used to leave many more on the phone, and I'd still have over 100 MB left.

I also notice that whereas with my original SD, Titanium Backup used to show me how much space was being used in the a2sd partition, and it no longer does.

This 8 GB card is a class 2 card. Nothing is force closing on me despite a bunch of people saying its such a bad idea to use class 2 for this.

Any ideas anyone?

Go into recovery and click on repair ext partition. I've had to do that before. you could also do the a2sd check on adb or terminal and see if it is working correctly.

Reactions: teh_dude
Upvote 0
Ok I'll try repairing the partition now. i did try running the check thru adb, and i got like a billion and one permission denied this, permission denied that.....so yeah something seems wrong. nothing errors out though when i move things to SD. oddness.

EDIT: LMAO! Of course I got a billion and one permission denieds. I wasn't in su! BAHAHA!!! Repairing the partition didn't seem to change anything, but now running A2SD check, it reveals that there are some parameters that are "correct, but not optimal". Everything else shows to be fine. The non-optimal ones consistently seem to be that Apps and Private Apps are still running from internal storage, and it explains how I can begin the process of changing so they run from SD storage. I'll try it and see what happens.

Upvote 0
Ok partial good news! The problem as explained above with a2sd shown by running the check is that some apps and private apps were still running from internal storage, and so it said to type "a2sd reinstall" to convert them over to running from the SD card. First off, adb is f*ckin cool. => I type a magic command and just...watch. lol. Second, I didn't know Joneidy had indeed added darktremor a2sd. I've heard that it's more effective than native froyo a2sd.

Third, the partial good news: Titanium Backup now shows my A2SD partition: Aside from the mysterious small chunk of space that always seems to get used up inexplicably in any partition, I have a total of 959 MB, and I'm only using 45 mb of it.

That leads into the remaining problem. Previously with the same apps, I was using up like half of my 512 MB a2sd, and in turn, still had over 100 MB free in my internal memory. Now as described above I'm barely using a2sd, and I only have 64.1 MB free of internal storage. Better than before at 30 something megs, but still. I'm going to go in one more time and see what apps I can get away with moving over without sacrificing proper functionality.

I'm open to anything else you've got to offer.

Upvote 0
Ok partial good news! The problem as explained above with a2sd shown by running the check is that some apps and private apps were still running from internal storage, and so it said to type "a2sd reinstall" to convert them over to running from the SD card. First off, adb is f*ckin cool. => I type a magic command and just...watch. lol. Second, I didn't know Joneidy had indeed added darktremor a2sd. I've heard that it's more effective than native froyo a2sd.

Third, the partial good news: Titanium Backup now shows my A2SD partition: Aside from the mysterious small chunk of space that always seems to get used up inexplicably in any partition, I have a total of 959 MB, and I'm only using 45 mb of it.

That leads into the remaining problem. Previously with the same apps, I was using up like half of my 512 MB a2sd, and in turn, still had over 100 MB free in my internal memory. Now as described above I'm barely using a2sd, and I only have 64.1 MB free of internal storage. Better than before at 30 something megs, but still. I'm going to go in one more time and see what apps I can get away with moving over without sacrificing proper functionality.

I'm open to anything else you've got to offer.

it's not a good idea to use the native froyo apps2sd with a2sd. with a2sd even though they are stored on the sd card the system reads them as if they were internal so thing like widgets and whatnot still work correctly. Hope you get everything sorted out.

Upvote 0
SCORE!!!! The apps weren't enough. I moved the Dalvik cache to sd ext, and i just more than doubled my internal phone storage remaining from 61 mb left all the way up to 140 mb left. WHOO HOO!!! Thanks again! :D :D :D

Now I gotta try it. I gotta find a movie, and put it on my 6 some odd gigs left of fat32 space, JUST because I can now. LOL

No problem. Glad I could help.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones