• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root About ready to pull my hair out...

EDIT: FIXED

Do this method if your going through what I am:

http://www.mydroidworld.com/topic/9906-bionic-path-saver-1-click-method/

I'm so frustrated trying to get back onto the OTA path!

The steps I took were a:

1. Factory reset
2. Forever root stock reset (option 1)
3. Root
4. Check for update
5. Install now
6. Gets to around 1/3 of the way, but then fails, shows an exclamation mark and then rootboots
7. "The software update failed"!

My phone info:

200utqw.png

Please help me, I just want to get back on the OTA path with or without root as I could care less at this point.

From your screenshot, it looks like you successfully got back to original stock properly. That's exactly what I showed after I reverted. In order to take the OTA update to the 5.5.893 successfully, you cannot have removed or frozen any system apps or bloat. Also, you cannot have made any edits to your build.prop file (as I found out the hard way.) After you reverted, did you do any of those things? I downloaded the .893 update file and flashed it is stock recovery after fixing my build.prop file as opposed to taking it OTA, although either way should work if you are completely stock (rooted or not.) Did you receive any other details about the update failure?

Upvote 0
From your screenshot, it looks like you successfully got back to original stock properly. That's exactly what I showed after I reverted. In order to take the OTA update to the 5.5.893 successfully, you cannot have removed or frozen any system apps or bloat. Also, you cannot have made any edits to your build.prop file (as I found out the hard way.) After you reverted, did you do any of those things? I downloaded the .893 update file and flashed it is stock recovery after fixing my build.prop file as opposed to taking it OTA, although either way should work if you are completely stock (rooted or not.) Did you receive any other details about the update failure?

To answer your questions:

1. No edits at all, have never done webtop hacks/wireless tether/ect, I've been on complete and 100% bland stock
2. I only got to my original state by having my Droid Bionic at the first OS version (what it came with when it first came out), and then applying the leak
3. I have never frozen anything at all, all the stock and bloatware apps are there
4. As for the info I had received, it was nothing. I pressed "Check for Updates" then it promoted me with an update. I downloaded, pressed install now, and then it powered off, attempted to update and then it failed to update. It then rebooted after the failed update and displayed a message saying "The Software Update Failed!"

Upvote 0
I think that message means the md5 checksum of the boot image on your bionic does not match the md5 checksum of the expected boot image for your os version. I had a similar error message when I tried to flash the update, but it was because I had edited my build.prop file. It flashed after I replaced with an unedited file.

Since you hadn't edited or deleted anything, my suggestion would be revert back to stock again using this method and trying again:
[GUIDE] How To Receive OTAs Again If You Are On A Leak ***Proven Working Manual Method*** - RootzWiki

Sorry, wish I could be of more help.

Upvote 0
Reactions: tehsusenoh
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones