• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

About system updates

VincentAnoid

Android Enthusiast
Jan 6, 2012
I've just wondered, why are there constant updates for Android and Apps in general. Yeah this sounds like a dumb question but it seems like everyone is desperate for updates and will even go to the lengths of rooting to get it. Updates will optimize the current hardware for its time, correct. But why don't developers just release flawless updates? That way there will be only one and one only thats needed. Maybe I'm turning into an Apple boy.

I think you are getting a couple things confused here. People do not root phones to get app updates. App updates will happen regardless if a phone is rooted or not. I'm not sure what you means by "Flawless Updates" but no software is flawless. Never has been, never will be. I like seeing regular app updates. That tells me the developer is constantly trying to improve their product.

The updates you are thinking of when people root their phones are OS updates. Yes, sometimes hardware is updates to keep it current. Other times it's not. I rooted my Incredible 2 because I wanted to run Sense 3.5. This phone has never received this update and I don't think it ever will. Thanks to being able to root the phone and to developers creating custom ROMs I can now run Sense 3.5.

Because Android is Open Source you have many players in the Android game. Because of that, there will never be only one that is needed. This to me is a good thing. Because there are many players, that give us variety that Apple does not give you.

Upvote 0
I didn't mean people root their phones for App updates, but I was talking about updates in general, including those of Apps as well as the OS. I like updates to if there is a worthy reason to update. Sometimes when I get it, I think to myself whats wrong with the version I have now. Oh it has to update because I updated my OS software to 4.02, fixed the glitch in 4.02, wouldn't have been a problem if I stayed on 4.01.

And yes the Android gives better customization by lettiing people to develop for it. But this too can lead to problems; I installed the Lightflow App for my Gnex and it overides any other apps (Facebook, Twitter) trying to access the notification light. But without the Lightflow App I wouldn't get lights for SMS and calls etc.

Conflicts occuring with these updates

Upvote 0
To make it clearer, I hate it when I see things like: Fixed the scrolling issue in 2.5. If its a fairly developed app so I don't expect basic/fundamental fixes like this. Should have tested it thoroughly before release. I'm gambling as to whether I should update an app or not. Because what if this version turns out to be buggy and worse to my taste, theres no way to revert back. And its a hassle, there maybe too many options for me xD Hence the Apple comment :p

Upvote 0
Android is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you are going to get.

Each manufacturer takes the Android OS and tweaks it. Two different phone manufacturers using the same OS will have phones that run differently. Even though the two phones are using the same OS, they will require a different update from the particular manufacturer. That is one reason why even though ICS has been out for about 5 months, only a handful of phones have been updated to ics. Some more technically savvy users will root to take update matters into their own hands.

Also, an app may work well on one phone, but not very well on a different phone even though the OS is the same. That is why when an app gets updated, you may get reviews by certain phone owners who will say that the app stopped working (well) on their phone. What I have learned to do is two things when it comes to updating apps for my phone:

1. Wait a couple of days after the app comes out and read the reviews on Market to see what other users have to say about the new app. If the reviews are bad, it may be better to just not update at all.

2. If I do decide to update an app, I always use an app backup manager eg. ES Explorerer to make a backup of the existing app before updating. If the new version is buggy or contains undesirable new features (eg. ads, laggy, worse UI etc. ), I can usually revert to an earlier version.

Reactions: VincentAnoid
Upvote 0
App updates happen because of OS updates as well. It doesn't have to do anything with the app working flawlessly already in a previous version, when the OS underneath has tweaked some stuff that the apps use to run smoothly.

For example, you have an agenda widget that has a scrolling capability which works in Android 4.0.1....But then Google goes ahead and makes some changes in the software scripts controlling widget scrolling, so the agenda widget will glitch because of the change in Android. Its not the app developer's fault, its more of Google pulling the rug from under their feet.

But Google is doing this to make this better, optimize the software to hardware better and be more efficient in battery.

Honestly, I also like seeing app updates, even if nothing changes in my experience, for the simple fact that it makes me know that the developer is working.

Upvote 0
Android is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you are going to get.

Each manufacturer takes the Android OS and tweaks it. Two different phone manufacturers using the same OS will have phones that run differently. Even though the two phones are using the same OS, they will require a different update from the particular manufacturer. That is one reason why even though ICS has been out for about 5 months, only a handful of phones have been updated to ics. Some more technically savvy users will root to take update matters into their own hands.

Also, an app may work well on one phone, but not very well on a different phone even though the OS is the same. That is why when an app gets updated, you may get reviews by certain phone owners who will say that the app stopped working (well) on their phone. What I have learned to do is two things when it comes to updating apps for my phone:

1. Wait a couple of days after the app comes out and read the reviews on Market to see what other users have to say about the new app. If the reviews are bad, it may be better to just not update at all.

2. If I do decide to update an app, I always use an app backup manager eg. ES Explorerer to make a backup of the existing app before updating. If the new version is buggy or contains undesirable new features (eg. ads, laggy, worse UI etc. ), I can usually revert to an earlier version.
I found titanium backup, it seems really good. However root is needed

Upvote 0
For example, you have an agenda widget that has a scrolling capability which works in Android 4.0.1....But then Google goes ahead and makes some changes in the software scripts controlling widget scrolling, so the agenda widget will glitch because of the change in Android. Its not the app developer's fault, its more of Google pulling the rug from under their feet.

But Google is doing this to make this better, optimize the software to hardware better and be more efficient in battery.

Honestly, I also like seeing app updates, even if nothing changes in my experience, for the simple fact that it makes me know that the developer is working.
Yeah thats what I'm trying to say. If Google saw this problem before and positioned the rug perfectly there would be no need to move everything on there. I think there should just be a stable update for OS, that way App developers have a solid foundation to build on. Why did Google not optimize the software before? I can understand apps that update because of a newer function however. Like a more clear layout or faster start up.

I didn't find many flaws in the firmware of my old Samsung Genio Slide which isn't a smartphone. And that was using software from more than 2 years old (Without updates).

Upvote 0
Firmware updates are different issue .Most fws are updated by Google to patch exploits discovered (e.g. ratc,Gingerbreak ,"software used to access root ..." )

If you say use Froyo 2.2 and a rogue app uses ratc exploit then your phone can be compromised (ratc was patched in Froyo 2.2.2 and above,Droid Dream used ratc )

If you read the news ,you will see Fake angry birds trojan article doing rounds .

It uses Gingerbreak exploit which was already patched by Google in November .
But older phones/firmwares (2.3.3 and below) are/may be susceptible to such an attack .

Other than that I dont find any major difference in minor updates (like 2.3.3 and 2.3.6 )

Upvote 0
Yeah thats what I'm trying to say. If Google saw this problem before and positioned the rug perfectly there would be no need to move everything on there. I think there should just be a stable update for OS, that way App developers have a solid foundation to build on. Why did Google not optimize the software before? I can understand apps that update because of a newer function however. Like a more clear layout or faster start up.

I didn't find many flaws in the firmware of my old Samsung Genio Slide which isn't a smartphone. And that was using software from more than 2 years old (Without updates).

Thats where you are mistaken. Comparing a smartphone to a nonsmartphond is like comparing a car to your legs. They both do the same thing in bringing you somewhere else, but both don't really need improvement. However cas still get faster and faster.

Another thing is that its impossible to 'position the rug perfectly' because technology and knowledge go hand in hand in becoming better. For example, lets use the previous one I gave: widget scrolling. It works perfectly on 2.3, so why fix it? They changed the script on 4.0 to enable GPU acceleration, because they found that the new GPUs now are capable of it (older ones aren't) and it will save more battery. They thought the rug was perfect, but somebody gave them a new table so it needed to be rearranged.

Upvote 0
Ah I understand now. Optimizing the hardware until its no longer supported, that would be a good manufacturer. Samsung have released a 'value' pack for the S1 because it won't support ICS. I guess the these phones have become computers now, and you need the latest specs to run the latest games.. Updates are like the drivers to optimize the hardware currently available. And rooms are too small to accomodate the current trends in tables so it will have to make do with an additional small one (Value pack). Thanks! I understand :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones