• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Notification and System Sounds Not Working on Galaxy S21 Plus

happy4ya

Lurker
Dec 31, 2011
I'm thinking this may be more of an Android OS issue than a phone-specific issue so I'm posting here hoping for some help.

I just got my son an S21+ and the notification sounds don't work. Ringtones work fine and when I go to the list of ringtones every one previews when I select them, but when I go to the list of notification sounds, I can choose any one on the list and no sound comes out of the phone. I copied a notification sound file over from my Note 10+ and it plays it in an external app, but not when I choose it in the list of notification sounds.

System sounds don't seem to work either. When I unlock the screen or plug in the charge cord, it doesn't make any sound either. The only system sound that seems to work are ringtones, and the phone actually rings when I call it.

Since nothing happens when choosing ANY sounds in the notification sounds list, it seems like some sort of Android issue. I don't see how the hardware could make this happen as it just does what the software tells it to do. It seems like that part of the system is just broken. The phone did update to 13 as soon as I set it up, so I have no idea if it worked before that. I did a factory reset, cleared cache, and ran the repair apps from recovery, and it still doesn't work.

I searched online and checked everything I found, and any obvious setting I could possibly think of. Do Not Disturb is NOT enabled, and all volumes are maxed out. There are no apps muted.

Just wanted to post on here an see if anyone had this issue and if so what else it could possibly be before I send the phone back and get something else. If it's an android 13 issue and a future update will fix it, I don't want to send the phone back if it may just happen to another one. It is also a refurbished phone which I guess could have something wrong with it, but almost every phone I have ever owned was a preowned phone and this is the first I have had an issue with. Any info is appreciated.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones