• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

BuzzKill app not sounding the alarm

I recently installed BuzzKill, and I want it to do something specific regarding the Jiobit app.

Jiobit is a GPS tracker my cat wears on her collar, and it the associated app on my phone gives me an alert if my cat runs away from home.

The problem is that Jiobit's notifications trigger the exact same sound file as an incoming text message, or any other notification. Since it's a pretty big deal if my cat gets out, I want to hear a special alarm in the unlikely event that my cat does leave home.

Therefore, I created a rule in BuzzKill that says any time Jiobit sends me a notification containing the word "left", an alarm should sound. This is because the relevant Jiobit notification would always say, "Mona has left home."

I have tested this by removing the cat's collar and taking it with me when I leave home.
Unfortunately, this triggers Jiobit's normal notification (with the text message sound), but does not cause BuzzKill to sound the alarm I wanted.

The thing is, BuzzKill *does* recognize these notifications as matching my criteria, because when I click on the rule I created, those recent Jiobit notifications show up in BuzzKill's list of notifications that match the criteria.

So BuzzKill can clearly see the notifications, but it's not sounding the alarm.

I should mention I did try just having BuzzKill sound an alarm for any and all notifications Jiobit sent me. That works, and the alarm does sound. But I don't want to go that route, because Jiobit does send me notifications unrelated to my cat's whereabouts. For example, it will send me a notification when I've been charging the battery on the GPS tracker and it's full. I don't want an alarm to sound when the battery's full.

Thank you in advance for whatever ideas you might have for how to fix this.

PS: I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S9, model number SM-G965U, running Android version 10. It is not rooted.

Screenshot_20230627-183853_BuzzKill.jpg

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones