• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"Do not disturb" mode don't hide notification icons

mr Oreo

Lurker
Nov 7, 2023

Good day to everyone.

I had moving from old smartphone with Android 8.1( Oreo ) to the new device with Android 12( Snow cone ). In the version 8.1 if i'm turning on the "Do Not Disturb" mode, then it not only muting the notification, but hiding all notification icons at top left corner of the phone screen till i'm gonna to turn off that mode. BUT within 12-th version of Android on my new device icons don't disapear( as you can see below on the screenshot with example of Facebook messenger notification icon ), but only sound is off when new notifications came.

I don't want to disable the push notifications for any app over Android settings because i care that suddenly something important will be sent to my phone. Nevermind whether notification is ad, message from messenger or something else. But from other side it's annoying to see these push notification icons cause they distract my attention when my break is out and i must go back to working place again.

I need just hide the notification icons somehow when i'm turning on the "Do Not Disturb" mode and when i turn off this mode, icons are appearing again like it was in the prevous versions of Android like 8 and older.

Whether is a way to do that ? How to do that ? Maybe here are special firmwares on Android or something else ?

Please, help me.

My old device
: Android 8.1, Asus Zenphone Max Pro M2 ( ASUS_X01BDA )
My new device: Android 12, Redmi 9 ( firmware MIUI Global 13.0.1 Stable )

Attachments

• t1rrULBfjsI.jpg
    t1rrULBfjsI.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
I'm not have a Redmi, but.....

Have you tried looking at Setting>Notifications>Do Not Disturb to check your settings?

Yes, i'm looked that up. But, unfortunately "Settings" menu in Redmi differs from settings on Samsung, Asus, Google Pixel and other devices noticeably. Thus in my phone no "Do not disturb" as separate single menu option in the settings. All of that i found are:

• "Do not Disturb access" option in the Settings->Privacy protection->Special permissions. This feature only grants access to apps for managing notifications. I'm not sure what this option does, but i suppose it gives to selected apps the access to "Do not Disturb" mode just for increasing phone performance.
  • "Do not disturb" option in the Settings->Sound & vibration. But this option just mutes all incoming call and notifications totally and nothing more regardles if "Do not disturb" mode is turned up or not.

As well i can't see "Notification" in the settings main menu. I followed to "Settings->Notification & Control center->Notifications" option. There located three suboptions: Lock screen, Floating notifications and Badges.

But i checked all three of them. "Lock screen" only customizes a body of the notification message. What about "Floating notifications" that's wrong option for me too, because it prevents the floating of the notification, but not icons on the left top corner. "Badges" suboption have zero effect at all.

Maybe here is something else what i can do ?

Last edited:
Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0
I always assumed that the point of "do not disturb" was that it didn't interrupt you with beeps and squeaks. If you are looking at the phone and see these badges you are arguably already distracted from whatever you didn't want to be disturbed from.

The problem is that since about android 8 or 9 (can't remember which) the badges have been based on whether there is a notification or not. And the notification still appears, even if it is silent. So you can turn off the badges, but there will still be an icon on the notification bar.

Basically I think what you want isn't the use case Google envisaged.

Reactions: ocnbrze and AugieTN
Upvote 0
I'm not sure what i understand all correctly. But anyway in my case of usage the Android 8.1 feature "Do Not Disturb" ( DND ) work that way as i wrote above. When i turned on that mode, then icons are were hiding on the status bar what located in the top left corner of phone screen. But notifications still were coming and staying in the notification bar. I could check that when i'm were scrolling status bar down on my old device. When i turned off that mode then all icons appearing in the status bar. That was what i needed for me. DND worked great. Just muting of notification is not enough actually. E.g. during lunch time before job you would wanted to watch something fun like musical clip in the Youtube or TikTok and do not distract at the additional notification icons from comments in Facebook's post or from other social network where you didn't finish to argue with some guys. Cause argue could tighten you for long time.

That's why DND mode like it was in the Android 8 and 9 is incredibly important for me.

I don't know why Google resolved to simpify that feature. I consider it not fair, but from other side it's stupid to refuse from Android OS, because of one inconvenience. I just think, that if official firmware( from Google Play or Android developers website, i don't know ) is existing for resolving of my problem, then it should not be some Google policy violation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What phone have you got? My phone (Android 13) has an option "hide notifications" in its Do Not Disturb settings - it's off by default, but you can turn it on. Does your phone not have that? In there there are options to hide status badges, or all notifications (these options are off by default).

I'd forgotten this existed because it's right at the end of the list, so if you don't scroll down to look for it it's hidden off the bottom of the screen.

If you don't have such a thing there will be no official patch to change behaviour: the only official firmware for your phone is what the manufacturer provides.

Hadron, thank you so much for reply. It may be like temporary solution in my case.

What phone have you got? My phone (Android 13) has an option "hide notifications" in its Do Not Disturb settings - it's off by default, but you can turn it on. Does your phone not have that? In there there are options to hide status badges, or all notifications (these options are off by default).

I have already written in the first post: what phone i have. Ok, again. I have redmi 9 with OS Android 12. And also, yes, i have a such option "hide notification". But in the my Xiaomi view of the settings differs from other phones with same Android version. Moreover option for hiding badges and "do not disturb" are locating in the different places of the settings. As you can see on the screenshots, "hide notifications" suboption is locating in the "Sound & Vibration" setting option, but suboption related with badges locating in the "Notification & Control center" setting option( 2-nd screenshot ).

As test i tried to disallow notification badge for "Messages" app( 3-rd screenshot ) in the "Notification Badges" suboption. After that i turned "do not disturb" mode on. And then i sent SMS from other phone mode. BUT it didn't work, because i still could see "Messages" app icon on the top left corner of the phone screen. WTF ? I can't understand. This method should been working. But no.

I'm in such despair :(. I suspect i have no other choice excepting to buy another phone model e.g Samsung Galaxy.

little edit:

Leastwise method of hiding notifications the badges through "Notification Badges" suboption has working well with the Facebook app.

Attachments

• Sound and vibration.jpg
    Sound and vibration.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 14
  • Notifications and control center.jpg
    Notifications and control center.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Notification Badges.jpg
    Notification Badges.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones