• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung A14 5G random 'red alert sound'

nickdalzell

Extreme Android User
Jun 17, 2011
Owensboro, KY
That's exactly what it is. A sound very similar to a Star Trek Red Alert from the original series. this phone randomly makes this 'whoop whoop' alert sound once, and nothing is on the screen. last time it was when it was charging, today it just did it in my pocket. Nothing is listed in recent notifications and there is no such sound in the list of 'notification sounds'. I can't think of any app that makes this particular sound and I'm quite involved in what I allow to make noise on a smartphone (only calls, texts and emails, everything else is set to either block notifications (I hate status bar clutter) or silent/minimized.)) There should only be three items that make sound and with sounds I select (thanks to whomever told me a month or so back to move any downloaded sounds into the 'notifications' folder). None involve any red alert sound. I got emergency SOS and Wireless Emergency Alerts all turned off. It's not a disconnected from watch sound as my watch remained connected.

Is anyone familiar with this particular anomaly with Samsung's modern phones? Also, it's not a low battery sound as the phone is still 90% charged.

Only that alert (and all other wireless emergency alerts) are turned off. and they make a much different sound, like the one that happens during a tornado warning. This is a simple 'two tone' red alert sound. If you've ever watched Star Trek, especially the 1960s series, it's that type of sound or some variation of it. There's no notification displayed, the screen isn't lit, and nothing shows up in notification history. There's also no such sound in the list of notification sounds.

Amber, Silver, Blue and other alerts are the same 'end of the world sound' that you get during a severe weather event, and don't end until you either dismiss it or acknoweledge it in some way. Drove me mad since I thought a tornado was coming (that's what I associate it with) and instead of was an AMBER alert from three states away, and I'm not Batman and am not into vigilante justice. Save that for the police. I have since disabled all emergency alerts since the National Weather Service never gets them correct for my area anyway (often issuing flood warnings that make that sound as well and flood warnings are not even relevant for my area and then up and miss the severe 80MPH dericho that happened a couple years ago and had no warning for).

I'd rather just live like it's the 1960s and look out the window or watch a barometer and not depend on the government for vital info.

Upvote 0
I just found the app. It was 14WFIE First Alert Weather. I had its notifications turned off so they didn't show in the status bar, but it apparently doesn't silence the 'alert' sound for a weather event. I turned the alert notifications back on and sure enough, tapping the icon for an alert produces the exact same 'red alert' sound. In yesterday's case it was an Air Quality Alert, and today it's a possible severe weather event.

Upvote 0
I used to have the America Online 'You've got Mail!" alert as my text tone. Once I also had a Star Trek LCARS theme (the UI of The Next Generation onwards) that included the computer voice alerts. I had it saying stuff such as 'Incoming transmission!' for incoming calls, and 'Warning! Deterium levels are fluctuating beyyyyyoooonndd acceptable tolllllerrrrrances' for low battery alerts. In the early 2000s and into late 2012 I was extremely heavy into Star Trek. Pretty much all the series at the time. I got so involved that aside the theme I even had Tasker + AutoVoice set up to do a local offline computer voice assistant, using sound effects and voice clips from the Enterprise computer.

Currently my phone has the Galaxy SII sounds set up from the ringtone to the text tone. They're like traditions for me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones