• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

About that Charger Cord Plug...

theCayce

Lurker
Oct 27, 2012
Being an iPad user for the past year or so, I needed a Nexus 7 to test Android apps in development, and have been in comparison mode between the two for the past couple of months. I'm liking the Android environment a lot, but in an almost typical fashion, Apple seems to have the hardware edge. The most annoying aspect of the Nexus 7 (and I'm assuming nearly all other Android based devices using the same interface) is that the only way I can use the tablet and charge it at the same time is to tape the mini-B USB cable to the back of the case so that the input stays exactly (and I mean PRECISELY EXACTLY) in position, or it doesn't hold the connection. The iPad plug clips into place and stays there until unclipped. I was looking online just now for any little third-party clip attachment that might keep that Nexus cord in place so I can stop having tape residue on the back of the tablet.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

I would say there is something wrong with the clips on the cable. I the ones on mine have a very firm grip holding the plug into the tablet (ie, you have to use some sort of force for it to come out). In fact the connection is more firm than the one that came with my Galaxy Nexus. Try a different cable. It shouldn't come out without a reasonable amount of force.

Upvote 0
The most annoying aspect of the Nexus 7 (and I'm assuming nearly all other Android based devices using the same interface) is that the only way I can use the tablet and charge it at the same time is to tape the mini-B USB cable to the back of the case so that the input stays exactly (and I mean PRECISELY EXACTLY) in position, or it doesn't hold the connection.

Never had a problem with charging cords at all with any of my devices (I did have one kindle fire which wouldn't take any cable, Amazon replaced it, no problem). Your assumption that "nearly all other Android based devices" have the same problem is, well, a stretch??? :thinking: Try the official charger it came with. If you think that your device is faulty, replace it under warranty. There are solutions available for you, good luck!

Upvote 0
I have a similar problem with any cord other than the one supplied.
All other charger connections seem to be very loose. I have tried 6-8 alternative chargers that all have the same problem, despite fitting their intended device perfectly.

The cord supplied had a reassuring click when I connect it and seems a very good fit.

Upvote 0
I'm in the same boat as the OP - I only have to look at my power supply the wrong way for it to stop charging.

I've now taken to wrapping the cable around the nexus to try and hold it in place but even this doesn't guarantee it will work.

The good news is that it's definitely just an issue with the connection on the official cable. I don't have the same issue with any other charger or micro usb lead.

Upvote 0
I have a similar problem with any cord other than the one supplied.
All other charger connections seem to be very loose. I have tried 6-8 alternative chargers that all have the same problem, despite fitting their intended device perfectly.

The cord supplied had a reassuring click when I connect it and seems a very good fit.
I understand your problem, but suggest you try some more. I've 8 cords, 7 of which fit as tightly as the original; I have a CHEAP car charger for my DroidX that fits more loosely, but still requires a pull. The Motorola home chargers work great for me; I have 3 of them, 850mA maximum.

Upvote 0
I had charging issues so I ordered the docking station as a solution.. due on Wednesday. After reading this post I swapped out my cord with another cord I had and presto... it charges fine now.. The Nexus seems too last a lot longer now after its charged that it has been the last couple of weeks.

Upvote 0
I'm scratching my head over this one. I've had two Motorola phones and two Nexus devices (N4 and N7) and all use the same connector (as does pretty much any phone other than Apple), and I've never had an issue with connectors falling out or even failing to connect properly on any of the devices, including the Nexus 7.

Like another poster I often charge with an old Motorola charger without issues, the plug fits with a slight click and is very secure. There is no way I need or want a proprietary connector like Apple chose to use, I want a standard, global pan-manufacturer connector - and that's what I got.

Upvote 0
I have had big problems with the charging cord. I suspected there was something wrong with it as I only had to look at it the wrong way and it would disconnect.

I asked Google for a replacement cord to try before sending back the whole device but they said they couldn't and the whole device had to be replaced. I got the replacement N7 and sure enough the fault was with the cable as I now have no problems charging the old device and the replacement device and wiggling the cable around doesn't cause a disconnection.

However it is not a great fit on either and still feels a bit wobbly. Just a tad tighter on the replacement device but still marginal. However the disconnects have at least stopped.

The problem now is that the replacement N7 seemed to have an overly sensitive magnetic open/close sensor which keeps triggering when I folder the case onto its back - the first device did not have this problem.

As I haven't yet sent back my original device I asked Google if I could just send back the replacement device, keep my original device and keep the newer cable. At first they said no then I just said with simply ask for a new warrenty replacement in that case. In the end they said keep the original device and send back the replacement.

So today I have to choose which to send back. The original device but with slightly looser connection or the new replacement device with a slightly tighter connection (but not perfect) but with a over sensitive magnetic open/close sensor which triggers when you dont want it to.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones