• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Access to Call button from anywhere

kkrathi

Sep 21, 2010
I dearly dearly miss the the separate call button in my prior phone, that I could access no matter what app or screen I was in. With android, it is huge step backward, where you have to first click the home screen to get to the call button.

Please tell me I am overlooking something very simple because I cannot imagine Android missing out such a big part. Or please tell me if there is a better home screen replacement that does exactly what I mentioned above. Will really appreciate any responses.

I own Samsung Captivate, Android 2.1 - all stock apps so far.

KR

Maybe not a total answer but if you use the phone as a phone a lot, if you hard press the large arrow key it will take you to a frequently used aps screen and you can choose phone from there. I wish there was a way to lock that in though. What is good is this works from inside any app without closing the app.

Upvote 0
Depending on how long it's been since you've last used the touch screen it may require one or two presses to illuminate it revealing the phone button. This is a pretty standard arrangement for today's touchscreen phones.

If you find this completely unacceptable a smartphone may not be for you.

Returning to a basic feature phone with mechanical buttons may be your best move.

Upvote 0
QuickDesk: QuickDesk BETA - Android app on AppBrain

Still in beta, but gives you an extra "homescreen" you can bring up overtop of anything you're currently in. You double-tap the home button to summon it. Anything you can place on a homescreen, you can place in QD, including a shortcut to the phone.

Also, it doesn't mess with replacement homescreens. I use it with LauncherPro and no issue so far.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones