• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessible Maps

Hi,

I am attempting to create a location recording app, which would place pins at set locations (it needs to be a pretty high accuracy), and hopefully, one that allows a Bluetooth clicker to be connected to act as the pin recording.

The app would be used to create accessible maps of the world. I am currently in the UK and obtaining the coordinates of the pedestrian crossings, and dropped kerbs from local councils. The information they have is unfortunately very limited. It is hoped that an app could be created to crowdsource this information from the general public, for it to be shared into a wider map so accessible maps could be created for wheelchair users, or individuals with mobility problems. It can currently be very distressing for someone to be given a google maps route, that unfortunately is not accessible.

I have spoken to a few charities to get them on board, and they believe it is a great idea. Any help or support anyone could give in creating such an app would be great!! I am new to app development, and I am currently a nursing and social work student (so my time is sometimes limited), but I am more than happy to learn.

Thank you

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones