• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Adblock

Dudditz

Android Enthusiast
May 25, 2010
Dundee
Not sure if this is the right section to be putting this, feel free to shift it if not.

Have noticed recently that adblock ain't working for me, on any apps that have ads.

I usually don't mind ads here and there but some of them can be quite intrusive and end up causing me to uninstall apps because of it (if there is a paid version with no ads I tend to buy them if they are worth it)

Just wondering if there is anything that can be done, or another adblock app out there that actually works (paid or free, not fussed)

For info, rooted on the latest Redux rom.

I have, yeah, messed with all the settings (symlink etc) in different combos and still nothing.

Tried a reflash of the ROM (with a full wipe) just in case there was any problems I wasn't realising but still nothing.

At a loss really. Like I said, I tend to buy paid versions but some apps only have free versions with obnoxiosly big or ill placed ads :(

Title is a bit misleading, sorry, it's adfree I am using.

Upvote 0
yea its a common thing actually, if you check the reviews of Adfree on the market ALOT of people are complaining...

theres also alot of people bitching bout the people complaining calling them stupid cos they don't know how to update/revert etc their software..

I've tried uninstalling, updating, reverting....the whole works...and for me most of my Ad software still has the adverts in...

don't know why this just started happening in the last couple of weeks but its a real pain in the ass when it kinda decides to work in some things an not at all in others, unless those other apps it doesnt work in have been updated to ignore Adfree or something....which if they have damn...cos angry birds with a giant advert in is pissing me off lol

Upvote 0
as far as I know, until its updated I don't think so...

I mean maybe it is a case of the apps in question have a way to get past Adfree, I dunno...can't really test it because the apps that have ads in on mine have all been updated in the last month or more recent...so maybe thats the issue..

like you I tend to have very few ad based apps...angry birds is one I cant get round with the ad issue as theres no paid for version except the RIO one from amazon and thats a load of crap right there..

EDIT: And yea, always a good idea to check the comments out on the market for apps/updates...I ALWAYS do for things like 'Facebook app' as most of the updates Facebook put out for android are buggy as hell....its like for every 5 updates, 4 are buggy and 1 will be ok lol so I keep an eye on those comments to see if its worth updating...perfect example is for facebook app....v1.5.4 was working fine..v1.6.0 was buggy, force close and had other issues, v1.6.1 seems ok right now....I am going to make a prediction that v1.6.2 will probably crash and burn..

seems their app testing department takes vactions every other update lol

Upvote 0
as far as I know, until its updated I don't think so...

I mean maybe it is a case of the apps in question have a way to get past Adfree, I dunno...can't really test it because the apps that have ads in on mine have all been updated in the last month or more recent...so maybe thats the issue..

like you I tend to have very few ad based apps...angry birds is one I cant get round with the ad issue as theres no paid for version except the RIO one from amazon and thats a load of crap right there..

Adfree just updates the host file which is used to block certain web addresses. This is the same on linux and even windows. If apps with ads have been updated, its possible that the apps are using new web addresses that are yet to be added to the adfree database.

Upvote 0
Adfree just updates the host file which is used to block certain web addresses. This is the same on linux and even windows. If apps with ads have been updated, its possible that the apps are using new web addresses that are yet to be added to the adfree database.

thats what I was thinking and having a read through the Adfree stuff, seems the dev doesnt update the host file much lately..so thats most likely why we're having the problems

Upvote 0
I am looking for a way to find the URL's of the sites that post those ads.
That way I can add the URL's manually to the hosts file, put it in the file enable_adblock.zip, flash that zip in recovery (my Desire isn't S-off'ed) and we are good to go.
For the moment I only have ads in 2 apps:
- Hybrid Stopwatch
- Wallpaper Wizardrii

btw: My Angry birds are adfree.

Upvote 0
andruoid, thats pretty much what I do now...except instead of using droidwall to block the the internet to those apps I use a tasker profile to kill connections when certain apps are there.

What method do you use to update it? As in exactly what steps?

I use the revert method actually in Adfree itself, then the update, then reboot to clear DNS cache.

Upvote 0
Revert puts your original host file back. You need to use "download and install hosts"

I know it puts your original host file back, they actually say to do this *IF* adfree doesn't seem to work, you revert back to your original file, then download and install 'new' hosts.

the problem now is most programs that did use to work with adfree are very iffy now sometimes work, but most other than not, *DONT* work. Angry birds is a perfect example, all 3 version now dont work with adfree due to them updating whatever it is in the games that has the ads. Dont know the technical side myself just what I see from my own experience and most others who comment on adfree on the market, that lately it never gets updated to keep up.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones