• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Adding Languages and locales on Milestone

Hey guys, I'm currently using a Motorola Milestone running android 2.1 with english/arabic keyboard input alongside other latin languages/locales including russian. The only problem is i need east-asian languages and the Phone doesn't support the fonts.... any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Hey guys, I'm currently using a Motorola Milestone running android 2.1 with english/arabic keyboard input alongside other latin languages/locales including russian. The only problem is i need east-asian languages and the Phone doesn't support the fonts.... any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Your phone will need to be rooted from what I've seen on the Moto forums but that could be wrong. I don't need anything other then english so never needed to install something else.

Found this on another forum...

Hi everyone here are some instructions for others who are interested in installing fonts on their Droid that will allow them to see text in currently unsupported languages.

Here are the steps you need to take on your rooted Droid:
1) Download onto your computer a font that allows your desired language to be displayed. I suggest DejaVu fontshttp://dejavu-fonts.org/wiki/index.php?title=Download. DejaVu fonts display a lot of languages. Check to see if your desired language is supported.
2) Connect your Droid to your computer and mount it.
3) Open the DejaVu fonts zip file, find the file "DejaVuSans.ttf", then copy this file onto your sdcard in the root directory (in other words, directly onto the sdcard but not in any particular folder).
4) Rename the "DejaVuSans.ttf" file on the sdcard to "DroidSansFallback.ttf". Make sure you've renamed the file exactly as I've specified.
5) Unmount your Droid.
6) On your Droid, open up a terminal emulator application -- I used "Android Terminal Emulator" -- and type this exactly (make sure to be case-sensitive and do not type directions I include in parenthesis):

su (wait for the superuser screen, and press "yes")
mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
chmod 4755 /system/fonts/DroidSansFallback.ttf
dd if=/sdcard/DroidSansFallback.ttf of=/system/fonts/DroidSansFallback.ttf
reboot

After your Droid restarts, it should be able to support many more foreign scripts (such as Arabic, Hebrew, and Vietnamese). Try opening your Droid browser and find a page with text in a non-Roman script (like Hebrew). This worked like a charm

1. This is advanced stuff
  2. Do at your own risk
  3. You will void your warranty

Upvote 0
What about connecting the letters? My Evo with 2.2 (rooted) displays arabic fonts, but they are disconnected making it worthless almost when reading online. The Arabic keyboard app helps connect texts when typing, but this is only inputting - displayed Arabic fonts are still disconnected.

TelusMilestone, your font tip was back in 2009 Adding Additional Language Fonts to Android | Android Devs - is this still valid? I've done some digging around and I'm still unable to find a reliable way to get Arabic fonts to display correctly.

I would really like my whole UI localized into Arabic, and according to Arabic Android, this shouldn't be hard once Arabic is supported (which it is partly, now). https://sites.google.com/a/ut.utm.edu/arabic-android/android-native-arabic-support

Can anyone out there help me with getting Arabic fonts to correctly connect on my Evo? I'll buy you lunch if you can get my whole UI localized as well.

:)

Thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones