• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Address Book app with customizable group tabs

lifemare

Lurker
Nov 15, 2015
The stock lollipop address book is alright, but having hundreds of contacts i'm in desperate need of an app that allows me to group them in different tabs. The system groups are an uneditable cluttered mess and they're a few too many clicks away for my taste. There's a button for Favourites on top, it would be awesome if there was an app that gives you that kind of functionality for any number of custom groups you want.

I've searched high and low for this and there just doesn't seem to be an app for it. Tried the popular Contacts+, Ready Contacts, and a bunch more. The only one that came close was DW Contacts, though a tad overkill for its purpose. Way too many menus with sub-menus with lists of settings with more pop-up options. The themes aren't that great either. But at least it allows you to hide system groups, and add your own to the tabbed navigation (by no means a simple process, and one that i almost missed, hidden away among so many of those afore mentioned menus). But sadly, the tab icon isn't customizable (so you're left having to guess which group is which) and the whole thing is very buggy in the current build, with deleted groups still showing up, contacts assigned to groups not appearing in those group tabs, and no way to customize the default tab so it doesn't display contacts grouped elsewhere.

Very frustrating that such a simple thing can't be found among the hundreds of apps available for the job.

My last hope is to interest those of you in the appcrafting business to develop:
  • A simple address book app with fully customizable tabbed navigation focusing on organizing your contacts and providing easy fast access to groups.
  • Allows you to hide all system groups and create your own within the app with custom icons/pics/backgrounds/behaviours/the works.
  • Comes packed with an icon set for you to use as group icons and contact pics (more on this below).
  • Adds a tab for every group you create.
  • Opening that tab allows to you add new contacts or batch import existing ones.
  • Clicking a contact in a group pops-up their vcf details for editing/make a call/compose an sms.
I'm not a programmer (though i've dabbled a bit with python and i'm open to learning), but i'm an artist who can help designing the interface, creating icons and gui elements, etc.

Here's a very rough initial mockup of the address book:
a3YgloP.jpg

- You'd be able to simply swipe contacts into the drawers on the right.
- Long clicking on a name would show selection boxes for ticking the desired contacts and performing batch operations (move, delete, change icon, etc).
- Long clicking on a tab would pop-up a costumization dialog for that group (name, icon, order, etc)
- Below (or on top) you'd have buttons for:
  • "add new contact"
  • "create new group"
  • "sorting order" (name, last name, date, operator, etc)
  • "view options" (large/small icons, list/grid)
  • "settings"
  • and optionally:"call logs", "keypad" (if you want to complicate it).
The app would also offer a collection of flat design avatars like these to pimp up your contacts, which may be a good selling point for it (no other apps offer this afaik):
RRUDfbe.jpg

(free clipart from freepik, i'm not the author ......yet)

Last edited:

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones