• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Advice on adding a line with AT&T.

jonhcox

Apr 27, 2010
NC
Greetings and hallucinations all,

About two months ago I sold my iPhone 4, mainly because I grew tired of iOS o
as well as I bought a new iPad with the proceeds. The plan was to stick it out until I could upgrade this October. I bought a somewhat decent Go Phone to use as the go-between and for at least 45 days, it worked ok. Well, that time has come to an end.

I was told by a colleague at work about adding a line to get a subsidized price on a new smartphone. I just would like to know more about this particular path before I walk down it. I'm not looking to spend a huge amount and I'm not looking for the most advanced phone, just need to get emails and texts. My colleague has a Samsung Galaxy S2 and it seems like a decent phone. I have an HTC Inspire that I use through work and I'm quite happy with Android.

Just need some thoughts and advice about trying this. My wife and I have two lines on a family plan.

Thanks for the help!

No its not worth it. Figure the amount you will pay for the second line AND your lines higher monthly charge. (assuming you have an individual plan)

Example:

If you have the $39.99 plan now you would move to the $69.99 family plan. (Your USED line would be charged at $60 the other at $9.99)

Keep following...

$60 - $39.99 = $20.01 x 24 months = $480.24

$9.99 x 24 months = $239.76

$480.24 + $239.76 = $720.00

$720 + Taxes and regulatory charges (20% or $144) = $864.00 total payment plus whatever you pay on the spot for the phone.

If you already have a family plan then its just $239.76 plus what you pay for the phone, which it might be worth it, depending how desperate you are.

Your world delivered. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones