• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

After a week with the phone ...

kjarrett

Android Enthusiast
Apr 10, 2010
... I still like it a lot, and will keep it, but have some more observations to share.

- The screen is readable outside, but it's not great, and it's almost unreadable in direct sunlight. The keyboard is especially bad. If you do a lot of typing on your phone outside, this isn't the device for you. That said...

- The speech-to-text translation is excellent and a real lifesaver when you need to enter text and are using the phone outside. I am impressed with its translations and ease of use. A real plus!

- Battery life IS IMPROVING (I think I've had 3-4 full charge/discharge cycles) but based on *MY* personal usage, it's noticeably (10-15%) worse than the DINC2. I can live with that. Too bad I don't want the extended battery. Now, if I can just find a spare battery and a wall charger...I will be set.

- The GPS improvements are INCREDIBLE. It's like a completely different app. So much more accurate and intuitive. Highly recommended. It's the phone's best feature IMHO.

- The Otterbox Commutter case adds just enough bulk to make it beefier to hold and also a nice amount of protection (for me). The OEM case with kickstand is also nice but I think I like the OB better. One unexpected and major plus: the phone in either case FITS almost perfectly in the car and bike mounts I got for my DINC2:Please Select Your SlipGrip Holder - and also SlipGrip 1" Bike Mount (Droid Incredible 2) | Flickr - Photo Sharing! - I was really NOT looking forward to buying more mounts.

- The Ice Cream Sandwich UI is growing on me. The unlock and incoming call gesture is annoying and counter-intuitive but it is what it is. Overall there are some neat features. Folders are great.

- Overall the phone is more responsive, fast as hell, mostly easier to use, has great new features and I'm glad I upgraded!

YMMV

-kj-

Reactions: GeoUSA

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones