• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Allshare, streaming, Samsung BS, and my final impasse.

mac1978

Lurker
Oct 5, 2010
(Win 7 x64)

After much tweaking, I've gotten wmc12 to stream mkv's. Allshare won't accept them as an mkv, if you change the extension to say, avi, it works fine, but that's not practical. This is infuriating, the phone will play damn near everything if it's on the card, but allshare has some BS no-mkv rule.

Looking for alternatives, I tried ES File explorer (free on market) it will stream mkv's, but the videos restart every few seconds, which makes them unwatchable.

What I want to do, is watch everything available on my home network, on my phone, theoretically, allshare can do this, practically, it's limited for whatever reason.

What I need, is an allshare alternative, something simple.

I've read up on and tried to use a new media server program that supports transcoding, but the only real free alternative is TVersity, and honestly, it's garbage. I'm not sure if WMC12 transcodes, but however it does it's thing, it works with allshare if you change the file extension, and actually works well.

On another note, because the information is so scattered, to get wmc12 to stream mkv's, You have to enable streaming, this is the easy part, google it if you don't know how. I installed Shark007's codec pack (after uninstalling all my other codecs). And installed, and subsequently un-installed this DivX Plus Codec Pack ? DivX codecs for Windows media player | DivX.com The Divx pack includes a program that basically adds mkv's to wmc12's libraries, to put it simply.

I also tried a bunch of other stuff, manually editing the registry, assorted codecs, etc. If I were doing it again, I'd do shark007 only and see what happens. It was either that or the divx thing that got me going, I'm not sure if un-installing the divx pack reverses the wmc mod it does.

Alot of people suggest using VLC to handle all this, I refuse, because VLC looks like it belongs on a windows 95 desktop, no style at all.

Final note, allshare (and the phone itself) has trouble with other formats (not containers), A list of incompatible formats would be helpful, but I seriously doubt I'll go as far as making a list..

Anyone else have ideas, opinions, alternatives?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones