• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Alphabetize apps list?

OsakaWebbie

Mar 30, 2017
There are lots of pages on the web saying how to sort your apps (not the home screen, but where you see all the apps) in alphabetical order, but the first step is always to tap a menu icon in the top right corner of where the apps are listed. I have no such icon. Below is a screenshot of my apps screen - the only thing at the top is a search bar. What can I do to get them to sort? They are currently in the order of: (1) pre-installed apps, (2) apps imported from old phone (which seem random within this category), (3) newly installed apps. That's not very helpful. (Note: My model is an Aquos sense3 basic, but there isn't a forum for that, so I'm posting here.)
Screenshot_20220430-193055 smaller.png

So a "launcher" is the term for the piece of code that lists all the apps? I was seeing it often called the "app drawer". I looked at Nova Launcher, but it's much more complex than I would want - it's not just an app drawer but a whole new home screen and many fancy features. My phone has very limited internal storage, so I need to avoid unneeded or bloated apps. I'm generally happy with the interface the way it is - I just thought it would be nice to alphabetize the apps, especially because it would push the apps with Japanese names (which are mostly pre-installed stuff from my cell phone company that I don't use but can't remove) down below apps with English names. If I have to install a big complex app to do that, I probably won't bother.

It's a mystery as to why sources like LifeWire, Android Portal, YT videos like this, and many others assume everyone has a menu on that app drawer/list/launcher/whatever. I found no one saying, "I don't have that icon, so I did this..."

Upvote 0
So a "launcher" is the term for the piece of code that lists all the apps? I was seeing it often called the "app drawer". I looked at Nova Launcher, but it's much more complex than I would want - it's not just an app drawer but a whole new home screen and many fancy features. My phone has very limited internal storage, so I need to avoid unneeded or bloated apps. I'm generally happy with the interface the way it is - I just thought it would be nice to alphabetize the apps, especially because it would push the apps with Japanese names (which are mostly pre-installed stuff from my cell phone company that I don't use but can't remove) down below apps with English names. If I have to install a big complex app to do that, I probably won't bother.

It's a mystery as to why sources like LifeWire, Android Portal, YT videos like this, and many others assume everyone has a menu on that app drawer/list/launcher/whatever. I found no one saying, "I don't have that icon, so I did this..."
Launcher is a well system operation, you can download several of them to modify your cell really easy and have it even less bloated ware, I ususally go with ADW.
https://apkpure.com/adw-launcher-2/org.adw.launcher - Barely 22.34 MB on my intenral Storage of my cell - so you do not have to worry too much on space or anything of that nothing. It can either try to wrap up, and you can download anything on custom icon packs - also it does Alphabetized your apps too :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones